Starter had no krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good day everyone. Last week I made a 2.5 liter starter with WLP810 (California Lager). There really was minimal evidence of fermentation and no krausen on the starter at all. It was on a stir plate for 4 days. I later found that the yeast was only 38% viable. Was my starter too big for a vial of yeast with 38% viabilty?

Eric

I sometimes see krausen and sometimes I don't, it really doesn't mean anything.
As for vitality and starter size, best thing is to calculate how much cells you need and then make appropriate starter (or step it).
You can use one of calculators to get right pitching rate (yeastcalc or mrmalty), just keep on mind that you need around 1.5 M/ml/°P for lager yeast.

Thanks diS, I use yeastcalc.com to determine my starter size and plan to step my new starter up to get the proper innoculation rate. The reason for my concern was that I had never had a starter that did not produce a krausen.

I have yet to see krausen on a starter.....

Only true indication is the band of yeast on bottom of flask after you let it set and settle....

Also, if you stir and get a bunch of foam (CO2) like a soda shook up that is a good indication the yeast are working or did their job....but this doesn't always happen neither....

I do 1 litre at a time for 24 hours usually....so if i need a 2 litre starter I do a 1 litre.....let it go a day or 2 then pitch the next 1 litre of wort....let it go another day....i.e. build it up over time as opposed to all at once...

Just treat it like the tiny beer that it is and take a gravity reading. You'll know for sure if the yeast have done their job.

Latest posts

Back