Starter for Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jilaman

Reaction score
I am going to be getting at least 5 gallons and possibly two 5 gallon carboys full of fresh pressed cider this saturday. So I will likely be fermenting 10 gallons. I bought some White Labs English Cider Yeast WLP775. Since I am going to be doing two 5 gallon batches is it possible for me to create a starter with some apple juice or something? That way I can split it between the two batches.

Apple Juice is perfect to do a starter with, as it's probably right around 1.050, go ahead and make up a big starter, then split it between the two batches after a few days of the starter.

I have a left over gallon of Mott's apple juice from making my last batch of apfelwine. Never opened so that should be good enough right?

I made a 750ml start for the cider, and if it ferments out fast, I may step it up to a 1L before I pitch on Sunday.

Would you believe the local discount grocer only had 28 gallons of apple juice (100% juice, no preservatives) on th shelf! I may have overloaded my trunk with that much though.

I went from there to the LHBS and picked up a Cider yeast smack-pack.

Tomorrow I should have bubbled in the starter, and soon there'll be 5 or six carboys on the counter...

...I wonder if the counter can take the weight...

--Matthew

Est. Juice SG at around 1.05
X 8.333 = ~8.75 lb/gallon
X 28 = 245 lb
+ 13lb/carboy (just guessing)
should put you around 310 to 325 lbs.
Don't throw your back out moving all that around!

question - how exactly do you make a cider starter? i have a big 1 L flask that i put on a magnetic stir plate for beer. I picked up the same white labs yeast you did - the liquid vial.

About to start 6 gallons of fresh cider myself. Wanted to get the yeast going tho... never made a cider starter.. think i need it? and if so how! thanks in advance!

I use the same basic process as for beer -- the fresh juice is already about the usual gravity for a beer-starter.

I put 1 liter of juice in my flask, and pitched the yeast.
Covered with sanitized foil.
20 or so hours later I had a little foam on top, gave it a swirl and it doubles in volume with foam.
poured 1/3 or so into each of two carboys full of juice, then bottled the remaining starter in three sanitized bottles for future use.

--Matthew

Back