Starter for BIG beer in 1 day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
Here's my situation. I plan on brewing a double IPA on Sunday (1.098 OG). I can't get to the LHBS until Saturday around 1pm, which means I can't make a starter until about 2-3pm. If I give it a good 24 hours (using a stir plate) will that be enough time? I understand it's going to take a very large starter. I guess I could always buy 2 WL vials, then it wouldn't take as large of a starter. BTW, I'll be using either WLP002 or WLP007

Unfortunately my LBHS is only open on Saturdays

I think I'm going to need to do a stepped starter for this one unfortunately, which means I have to wait another week:(. I also don't like the idea of pouring an entire 3-4 liter starter into my wort without having time to crash cool and decant most of the liquid off.

I agree with your decision. Keep in mind that if your yeast isn't ready, you're no more ready to brew than you would be without malt or hops.

You could try dry yeast. US05, S04, Nottingham, etc.

I thought about that, but I really enjoy using my new stir plate so I'll just wait it out. Nothing wrong with dry yeast though. I used US-05 most exclusively for a long time.

What if you can get the best of both worlds? Have you thought about going through with the brew, and just storing the chilled wort until you have finished the needed starter and step ups? With good sanitation practices this should get you where you need, just pitching a few days after the brew, instead of waiting another week at least.

What if you can get the best of both worlds? Have you thought about going through with the brew, and just storing the chilled wort until you have finished the needed starter and step ups? With good sanitation practices this should get you where you need, just pitching a few days after the brew, instead of waiting another week at least.

Honestly, that idea scares me:drunk: I know plenty of brewers have done it with success though. I just don't want to risk an expensive batch of beer getting ruined.

Back