Starter blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Alright, I'm a noob, this is only my 2nd starter for my 5th five gallon brew. Made a 2L starter Tuesday night with a smack pack of Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale) and 200g of DME. Everything went fine, I let it go for 24+ hours, swirling it every once in awhile (don't have a stir plate). Before bed last night (Wednesday) I stuck it in the fridge and cold crashed until this evening, about 20 hours. After work today (Thursday) I decanted and poured another 2L of fresh wort onto the yeast cake to step it up. Swirled it for a bit, covered it with sanitized foil and let it be. Came back an hour later and there's foam pushing the foil up and dribbling out the top. Not a huge gusher, just nice and steady. First time I've ever stepped up a starter. Is this normal? Maybe I should have used a bigger vessel (it's in a clear glass growler)? The plan is to cold crash again tomorrow night (Friday) and brew my scotch ale on Saturday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did a starter with the same yeast back in the summer, with a stir plate, at 2 liters. It pushed up the foam stopper after a while. I learned an important lesson. Better to step it up multiple times at lower volumes (1.5 l or less) than trying the full 2.

Back