Starter and Yeast pack question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimand

Reaction score
Have not brewed in some time. Kinda in a time crunch and didnt have time to let the smack pack sit for a few hours but I did make a yeast starter and letting sit for however long brewing takes. This good???

Thanks

How old is the yeast? And whats starting gravity of the beer you are making going to be?

Without a stir plate you would need a 2L starter and let ferment for at least 36 hours with occasional stirring IMO.

If it is a 5 gallon batch you would need about 1.3L starter. Judging from your post you will not have nearly enough yeast. You need roughly 160 billion cells. W/O starter your yeast will yield about 62 billion.

If it is a 5 gallon batch you would need about 1.3L starter. Judging from your post you will not have nearly enough yeast. You need roughly 160 billion cells. W/O starter your yeast will yield about 62 billion.

1.3L will be good with a stir plate. Without the OP will need 2L for a 5 gal batch, this is according to yeastcalc. I would suggest using dry yeast if the OP is in a time crunch.

Dont have that option. Made a 800ml starter with the smack pack going for about 30 mins. Its been in the starter for 3 hours. I have to pitch in about 45 mins dont have any other option. So I am ****ed is what the general consensus is?

Dont have that option. Made a 800ml starter with the smack pack going for about 30 mins. Its been in the starter for 3 hours. I have to pitch in about 45 mins dont have any other option. So I am ****ed is what the general consensus is?

You will still make beer. You will be under pitching is all.

Ok. I missed OG by .04 and apparently under pitched. What problems do I have to look forward to? I havent brewed in a long time so any knowledge I used to have is gone lol.

In an ideal world everyone that has responded before me is correct.

However:
With most styles (I haven't actually done a nut brown), your yeast will do its thing and your beer will be tasty. Feel free to pitch some dry yeast or something to ferment a little further.

I wouldn't expect any major off flavors (especially if you fermented at a good temperature).

yea I need to go to my lbs tomo and see if I can find a dry yeast just in case. What type should I be looking for to go w/ Wyeast British ale? Thanks for all the responses guys!

I personally think you'll be ok. Since its a brown ale at 1.044 the yeast shouldn't struggle too much to reproduce in the wort. Your beer should be fine. If you have the time to let it sit in the primary for extra time. An extra week should give the yeast time to clean up.

Latest posts

Back