Started secondary in separate containers, only some of them halted fermentation, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterbad

Reaction score
I tried moving my 5 gal batch of blackberry wine to secondary fermentation in 5 separate 1 gal carboys, it's a little over a week later and it looks like one of them has nearly completely stopped fermentation (though it was the runt, only filled it to about two thirds of a gallon), and one of them has about half as much activity as the other three. Why would this be? If they're all from the same batch? I used honey as a sugar source so maybe it clumped just a little bit towards the bottom of the bucket in primary?

I suspect it is due to the remaining yeast and sugar being unevenly distributed when you transferred from the five gallon. It shouldn't be as issue long term especially if you plan on bulk aging. If you plan to bottle age I would just make sure the fermentation is all done before bottling, which may just result in you bottling in batches.

If the batch was stirred up periodically as the transfer took place there may have been equal suspension in all secondary vessels. At this point if you have bung and air locked all vessels you should have a good mix to blend back together in 3 months. I may suggest rack the 5 back into a 5 gal. carboy at that time with a 1/4 tsp of sullphite. Let set for 3 more months then bottle

Latest posts

Back