Start/Stop Primary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecheekybrewer

Reaction score
Hello all - this is my virgin post.

Here is my dilemma: I live in Singapore.

Unlike many expats who live here, I don't have the luxury (nor the bank account) to run my air conditioning unit constantly. That being said, it was a challenge to find a relatively cheap way to bring my fermentation temps down below 75° F. After some trial and error, I purchased what is essentially a styrofoam ice chest, a digital thermometer and eight ice packs. Using a hot knife I inserted the thermometer into the front of the box and I swap out the ice packs every 12 hours or so. This way I can manage to keep my wort as low as 60° F.

My question is this:

I am going away for three days this coming weekend. Left untouched, the ice box temperature can (and most likely will) climb back up to around 85-90° F (room temperature), though not immediately - probably only after about 24-36 hours or so. That means the yeast will be doing funky things for a day and a half at these temperatures. I'm familiar with the concept of cold crashing, but I understand that it's used to clarify the beer. Can it be used to temporarily pause fermentation until I get back? Would I be able to start fermentation again whence I return? I brewed on Sunday night and will be leaving Friday, returning Sunday afternoon. I'm pretty sure the majority of the yeast's (Safale S-05) work could be done after those 5-or-so days.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would let it go. If the biggest portion of fermentation is do by the time you leave it shouldn't affect the beer. Just bring the temp back down when you get home and you are good to go.

If you can get a larger container that will hold the primary and a good amount of water to surround, the water will provide insulation and it's temp will not fluctuate so readily-swamp cooler, you can still rotate the ice packs in and out but the water will hold a more steady temp while you are gone

Back