Start of infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar film on a pale ale i did and had no problems with infection. It was in secondary for 6 weeks and developed a film a tad thicker than that. I noticed when i was racking to the keg, the film seemed to stick to the carboy as it emptied. Im sure after 3 months it might turn into a sour, but once its kegged, and assuming it tastes fine, your good.

Any update on this, Tombsy? I think I may have something similar, but I don't think mine has progressed that far. It was a very, very thin layer of film. I went ahead and bottled anyway due to other time constraints. After 3 days it looks like it may be expanding within each bottle. Anyone have advice on whether this will be okay to drink? I plan to continue to monitor it closely. Thanks!

In my experiences, that broken ice pack-like film is the start of a lacto infection. If it gets into the bottles in sufficient quantities, it could sour it or even cause bottle bombs if it ferments out too far.

Back