StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, having read Palmers chapter regarding sanitizing I am left a bit confused. I have two gallon jugs with used StarSan in them that I was going to throw out. But, after reading his chapters he said that as long as it is not cloudy it is still good to go. This stuff is clear as can be, so I am guessing it is still ok? Not that it is difficult to mix up more, but heck if I can keep using it, why not.

Also, he states that contact time is simply 30 seconds on what you want to sanitise, so my thought is, why not just spray my buckets with it instead of filling 2 to 3 gallons of water and doing it that way? I am in the San Francisco area, so water is a huge issue here. If I were in Oregon or Idaho I would be less concerned.

Any input is welcomed as I am still trying to get the best practice and keep the water usage to a minimum

Yes, you can just use a spray bottle. I keep a spray bottle with it made with RO water, it lasts a long time. I've read that if the ph is three or below it's good. Just make sure what you use it on is clean and spray all around the sides well and maybe some to cover the bottom of the bucket. I even use the spray bottle to sanitize bottles when bottling. I squirt 5-6 shots into bottles and roll them around to cover the entire inner surfaces. Then let them sit for a while before dumping it out.

Yes, you can just use a spray bottle. I keep a spray bottle with it made with RO water, it lasts a long time. I've read that if the ph is three or below it's good. Just make sure what you use it on is clean and spray all around the sides well and maybe some to cover the bottom of the bucket. I even use the spray bottle to sanitize bottles when bottling. I squirt 5-6 shots into bottles and roll them around to cover the entire inner surfaces. Then let them sit for a while before dumping it out.
Fantastic. Thank you

The cloudiness thing can be confusing for those with high alkalinity water, which will turn StarSan cloudy the minute you mix it, but the key indicator, as @scrap iron says, is the pH remains < 3.0 and StarSan is still effective. Now, of course, you don't want floating bits of organic material in your StarSan (hop bits, I'm looking at you) because that's no good. Dead rats would be right out. But as long as it's below 3.0 pH and no organic material, I keep it use after use. I also only pour a cup or two in a fermenter bucket or keg, and swish it around, to sanitize; whatever gets wet, gets sanitized. No need to fill things to the brim and empty.

The cloudiness thing can be confusing for those with high alkalinity water, which will turn StarSan cloudy the minute you mix it, but the key indicator, as @scrap iron says, is the pH remains < 3.0 and StarSan is still effective. Now, of course, you don't want floating bits of organic material in your StarSan (hop bits, I'm looking at you) because that's no good. Dead rats would be right out. But as long as it's below 3.0 pH and no organic material, I keep it use after use. I also only pour a cup or two in a fermenter bucket or keg, and swish it around, to sanitize; whatever gets wet, gets sanitized. No need to fill things to the brim and empty.
got it. the bottle would only be fresh stuff anyway. It is better to have a gallon on tap than to pour 3 or 4 gallons down the drain.

Would a fish tank tester be ok for the PH? I have to look at what the ones my wife uses.

Thanks to all who replied.

got it. the bottle would only be fresh stuff anyway. It is better to have a gallon on tap than to pour 3 or 4 gallons down the drain.

Would a fish tank tester be ok for the PH? I have to look at what the ones my wife uses.

Thanks to all who replied.

Beware the water rabbit hole, grasshopper.
It is a long and winding road, regardless of however much you may like The Beatles.
Read up on many things before deciding to traverse the path. I always recommend this as a starter, or the Water book maybe. pH meter typically recommended on this forum is the MIlwaukee 101/102, I think.

You will find pH ... interesting if you are into data, and frustrating as different malster's barley will affect pH. Different lots of same malster's barley. It gets interesting fast. Proceed at your own risk.

The advantage with filling your fermenter with starsan and shaking it is, that starsan foams and that way it gets everywhere. Also regions you may not reach with your spray bottle e.g. if you have faucets on your buckets

Back