StarSan vs Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Both are good.. I know that. I have only used StarSan since I started brewing... both for pre ferment and for bottling. Now that I have started kegging (and bottling)... how does Iodophor work for kegs and bottles?

Someone gave me a full quart of Iodophor and I'd like to try using it. Won't be brewing for a coupla weeks and I'd like to try it. At 1 cap/5gals, which is recommended by the company, can I use it to sterilize kegs, bottles and lines? I'm sure the answer is Yes.. but, want to make sure. StarSan has always been great.. the change raises a question that I'm sure some folks can calm the "fears".

Thanks,

I actually use both. StarSan on the brew rig and i keep a spray bottle of Iodophor mixed up for spraying things like funnels, siphon, airlocks, bungs.....

The StarSan is nice in the brew rig. Dump in 5 gallons of water, 1 oz of StarSan, pump it through everything, drain and done.

I only use Starsan for kegs. Someone told me it was the best for Stainless steel. Not sure if that is true. Also note that for lines or anything plastic it will discolor them. It is only cosmitic but still. I eventually replaced them because even though I know they were fine they just looked brown and unsanitary. Anything glass would be fine as it wouldn't discolor.

So the short answer is I used it for a few years and it was fine but I prefer starsan now. And since I have figured out that 1/5 a teaspoon in 32 ounces of water is the correct mix and I can make a small batch whenever I want, the starsan lasts forever.

Iodophor works fine for kegs and bottles but if I remember correctly it needs a longer contact time. And it's only good as long as it's wet. I converted to star san last year from iodophor and haven't found any reason to go back.

Someone told me it was the best for Stainless steel. Not sure if that is true. Also note that for lines or anything plastic it will discolor them

To clarify, Iodophor would discolor, StarSan will not

the only negatives of iodine based sanitizers is the smell can sometimes come thru under certain circumstances (they are not tasteless/odorless), and the fact that they stain almost everything brown, especially plastic.

as for effectiveness- they both work very well.

If there were an issue with iodophor, you wouldn't see commercial breweries depending on it... we get a bad batch or off flavor, it's an annoyance... in a commercial brewery it is time/money and reputation. While PAA is often the preferred santi in a commercial setting, because it doesn't foam at all, you still see a lot of places using iodophor, which will foam like a b***h in a CIP situation... I can't imagine what a high-foaming santi like star san would do in that situation LOL. Personally, I would use PAA at home if I could get it easily (I like that it is clear, doesn't stain, etc... thing is, undiluted it is NASSSTY stuff)... I use iodophor because it is a known commodity for me... star san I have never used, but have nothing against and trust that it does what it is supposed to do

Starsan is more effective at removing mineral deposits, due to the phosphoric acid content. I use it in my drip irrigation pipes (phosphoric acid) for that very purpose. As such it is great for use with beer and dairy products, although the FDA doesn't look on it incredibly favorably for all purpose microbial sanitation. (that would be more in the food production preservative end of things), and they are idiots half the time, though the FDA does approve both.

Sorry I just got done with a 16 hour class at VT on Better Food Process control...terribly boring, but enlightening. I use QUATs for jarring sanitation purposes, and Starsan for beer brewing purposes.

I was using it for my hot sauce bottles as well, until I was instructed by an FDA instructor that other things would be better for that application. As far as beer goes though starsan is a batricide and will remove mineral buildups better than iodophor.

Both work perfectly great for brewing applications! They work good for other things as well. Starsan is specifically designed for brewing applications because of the phosphoric acid it contains.

I use both, in a random and unplanned way. I figure that is the best way to keep the wild bugs out of my brewery. Practically, I probably use Iodophor more often than Star San, but that's based on my preference and process, not because one is better than the other.

I've only ever used Iodaphor. I use it on kegs, carboys, bottling buckets, bottles. yes, it stains. I've never in almost 14 years of brewing, ever had an aroma of iodaphor in my beers. I believe the contact time is a minute?

Never used starsan. Around me, starsan is more expensive. If it ain't broke...

I've never used iodophor, and have been using starsan for many years. For me, the fact that both are no rinse and starsan doesn't stain makes it the winner. Both are effective for killing bacteria. The owner of 5-star claims that it does it's job in as little as 30 seconds, but they are required to post a kill time of like 1.5 minutes or something.

FYI - They make a no foam version of starsan for people who CIP...

Back