StarSan to Sanitize RV plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnw

Reaction score
I've ben RV'ing for a few years and have just gotten into homebrewing.
Two great hobbies that go great together!

Currently I sanitize my RV freshwater system with a solution of bleach, and then use a solution of baking soda to help clear out the bleach smell/taste.
It is a time consuming but necessary project.

My RV has pex tubing.
Today I was cleaning up my brew area, and thought. "Why not use this StarSan in the RV?"
No bad smell, breaks down quickly, and would be easy to flush out.

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

dap: thanks for that. From reading that, I think the foaming action would be bad for the freshwater pump. It might cause it to cavitate.

Oh well. Thats why you ask questions before you attempt to destroy your toys...

dap: thanks for that. From reading that, I think the foaming action would be bad for the freshwater pump. It might cause it to cavitate.

Oh well. Thats why you ask questions before you attempt to destroy your toys...

Sani-clean is star-san that doesn't foam. might work...

DO NOT use star-san for cleaning RV lines. Star-san will only reliably kill bacteria and fungi. The critters in your Sewage lines are not only bacteria and fungi, but viruses, protozoas, and other kinds pathogens. Bleach is a dependable complete sanitizer, cheap, and readily available. Keep the star-san for brewday, where it belongs. :mug:

DO NOT use star-san for cleaning RV lines. Star-san will only reliably kill bacteria and fungi. The critters in your Sewage lines are not only bacteria and fungi, but viruses, protozoas, and other kinds pathogens. Bleach is a dependable complete sanitizer, cheap, and readily available. Keep the star-san for brewday, where it belongs. :mug:

I believe he is just talking about the freshwater tank, not the septic.

dap325 - You are correct, but the statement still stands. RVing involves going to locations where you cannot trust the water source.

Also, sanitizing with bleach will help reduce the severity of bio-film, I have no idea what Star-san would do with that kind of stuff. Better stick with the industry standard.

Sounds like you're trying to clean any gunk out of the RV lines (biofilm etc.) and then sanitize them. Hmmm, sounds like something we homebrewers already know how to do, clean flexible tubing lines that is, just like on a kegerator. You might want to look into using a line cleaner followed by a sanitizer.

This was for the freshwater system. Not the septic. You don't "sanitize" your septic, bleach will destroy the rubber seals on the wastegate (so they say). Some people do clean them with mild detergents. Personally I just installed a freshwater flushing device.

I did get a response back from FiveStar, and they said
"Jamie,

Yes, Star San can be used to sanitize a water tank. You may want to rinse it with drinking water to get the foam out, or let it air dry.

Jon Herskovits"

My email to them:
"I have been RVing for a few years, and recently started homebrewing. I am using
your product for homebrewing, and I have been pleased with the results.

In my RV I have to santize the freshwater system every year, and I use a
chlorine solution, which is very time consuming because you have to flush with a
baking soda solution to get the smell/tase out.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use your product to sanitize my RV freshwater
system?

Thank you,"

After asking questions and thinking about it a bit. It would be expensive to use StarSan or Sani-Clean.

But, I do think it would be a very good sanitizer for someone who was tired of having to get rid of the chlorine smell and taste after de-winterizing/sanitizing the system for the season.

Thanks for all the responses.
Aren't forums great for sharing opinions and learning?

I see this is very old but, if you talk to a local brewer and ask them to order Sani Clean when they order you can get a gallon for around $55, I believe it’s used at 3oz to a gallon.

Back