Starsan Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcartt11

Reaction score
I've been storing my starsan in distilled water jugs once I mix up a batch. I saw the idea of storing in an old Mr Beer, but I don't have one of those and haven't run across one for cheap on Craigslist yet. I was wondering if anyone uses something like this to store their starsan?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VET4Q8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I do reuse what I make today but with each use and refilling spray bottles, I obviously lose some each batch. So, I was thinking that something like this would make to easy to just mix up another gallon every once in a while and add it to what I already have.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
looks fine, it looks like it would store nicely on a shelf. I just started using distilled water to make my sanitizer. Some say it will last longer, so far it seems to be working great. I've been storing mine in a corny keg that Im not using,

I use gallon distilled water jugs for convenient storage and easy pouring. The jugs are free because we use distilled water for other purposes.

That's a nice idea. I store mine in a empty keg. I use ro water but I have a container of sanitizer water I made with tap on the shelf. After 8 months it is still below 2.5 pH.

Actually, it looks like they may carry these at my local Walmart for only $7. The gallon jugs from distilled water are OK, but it seems like it might be a tad easier to refill these from my buckets, carboys, etc., plus with the tap it will make refilling my spray bottle really simple and a bit less messy.

For $7, I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Related question, not really thread stealing.....how long can you store your StarSan without it loosing effectiveness ? I understand that it is an acid. What would be a borderline Ph that you would want to discard it?

Related question, not really thread stealing.....how long can you store your StarSan without it loosing effectiveness ? I understand that it is an acid. What would be a borderline Ph that you would want to discard it?

From what I have read, it is good as long as the pH is less than 3.5. Some guys say they have had theirs for a year or longer and it's still good.

I use a 5 gallon bucket (it's actually a white food safe one from home depot) along with this lid: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-Screw-Top-Lid-5GAMMA6/203205720

The lid snaps onto the bucket and the center of it unscrews so it's easy to open without having to pry it off (i actually use these lids on other buckets that I put rock salt into for the winter). The 5 gallon bucket is perfect for quickly throwing some parts into it to sanitize without having to pour it into something else prior plus it holds a good amount in it so you can pour it into a fermentor.

Mostly as long as it's not cloudy , it's still good. I keep a corny full of it. I have used the white plastic food grade pails from HD as well. Made with distilled water I've stored it for a least 6 months with no problems.

Mostly as long as it's not cloudy , it's still good. I keep a corny full of it. I have used the white plastic food grade pails from HD as well. Made with distilled water I've stored it for a least 6 months with no problems.

This is over simplified misinformation. The pH is what matters not the clarity. Also if you add the sanitizer and let is sit for a while, depending on your source water, the cloudiness will usually subside with time.

So that container i left sit for 8 plus months at this point is no longer cloudy. It does have a precipitate at the bottom, which is not unusual considering it was tap water which contains minerals.

Though I prefer DI or RO for making sanitized solution, There is no issue with using tap water. Since tap water sources vary the only way to be sure is to test the pH. A lot of wasted sanitizer solution goes down the drain because of this blanket statement, which really holds little truth. Until your eyes give 0.01 resolution on the pH scale maybe just use a meter.

Back