Starsan Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
If SWMBO is away for the week and the dishes are piling up in the sink is it acceptable to dunk the dishes in a starsan solution, let dry then eat? This is an important question as i'm down to using Tupperware as plates and measuring cups as glasses.

bradsul said:
Does the obvious question really need to be asked here? ;)

Jury says yes.

How about you actually just wash them? You know that that's safe, and SWMBO will thank you for not leaving a massive disgusting pile of dishes.

Seems like for the amount of effort you'd go through to make the batch of starsan just to soak the dishes in (I mean, you wouldn't want that to get into the batch you use with your beer) it would be just as easy, if not easier, to actually wash the dishes.

That's why you should just spray the dishes with a pre-made bottle of starsan instead. Much easier.

Step 1 Fill sink with hot water and oxyclean, put dishes in sink...

Step 2 Return 12 hours later...drain, then rinse thoroughly

Step 3 Fill second sink with starsan. dunk dishes in....

Remember Palmer's rules on proper sanitization.....

Clean first, Santize Second!!!

How to brew

:D

(Stock up on paper plates next time!)

Well you have to clean off all the organic matter first for just about any sanitizer to be effective so here is what you do:

1 - Rinse everything off all your dishes until you cannot see anything on them.
2- Soak them in hot, soapy water for at least a couple minutes. Enjoy a beer while your waiting to help time the process.
3- Rinse thoroughly with clean running water
4- THEN spray with star san if your dead bent on using it.

starsan is not a cleaner, it is a sanitizer!

chinese food comes in its own eating container.

most takeout can provide paper plates and plastic utensils.

I'm with Revvy on this one. If oxyclean will remove labels from bottles, it'll certainly remove dried on food!

Latest posts

Back