StarSan on plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
Can I use starsan on plastic? The description on Midwest's websites says its not ideal for plastics. I'm trying to switch from using bleach, but since everything I have is plastic (better bottles) this is a concern. thanks.

I use it on plastic... I store it in plastic. I have never heard of an issue with plastic.

The only problem I've noticed with plastic is that Starsan can cause clear plastics to get a hazy look if you let them soak for long periods of time. This happened to some of my siphon tubing, but there were no performance issues. I wouldn't sweat it.

i've seen the haziness too but i've had some stored in a plastic spray bottle for like 2 weeks and it hasn't sprung a leak yet.

To be fair, nearly all of my gear is plastic. I use Better Bottle carboys, plastic tubing, racking cane, a few plastic bucket fermenters, plastic airlocks, etc... Pretty much the only glass I use is in my auto siphon, thief, hydrometer, and beer bottles.

Star San is highly concentrated acidic awesomeness.

+ 1 with what The Pol said. I think that a lot of us use on plastic.

+1 I Always keep a small solution in a plastic spray bottle and never had any issues. I also use it on all my plastic brewing equipment every time I brew for the past 5-6 months with no side effects. (maybe a little bit of "the hazy look" on my siphon hose).

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't recommend soaking a nylon grain bag in full strength undiluted Star San. I did that once by accident (those caps aren't as tight as you think) and the grain bag completely dissolved!

But all of my intentional use on my Ale Pale, tubing, better bottle has been without any problems. :)

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't recommend soaking a nylon grain bag in full strength undiluted Star San. I did that once by accident (those caps aren't as tight as you think) and the grain bag completely dissolved!

But all of my intentional use on my Ale Pale, tubing, better bottle has been without any problems. :)

Undiluted starsan has some interesting effects on things...like kitchen counters by some of the threads on here...;)

But yeah, Starsan and plastics are OK together...

Latest posts

Back