Starsan bottles - big bubble foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripkings

Reaction score
I'm about to test drive my Bowie Bottle filler and just cleaned, sanitized, and stuck some bottles in the freezer.

Back when I bottled I used either iodophor with a bottle tree (what a pita) or the dishwasher heat method. I've never used Starsan to sanitize bottles and no matter how hard I try to shake them out this is how they look.....is this ok?

IMAG2664 by waxteeth, on Flickr

Don't fear the foam! It's all good. If you really don't like it they also make a low foam option called Sani Clean.

I don't mind it..just haven't seen that before and figured I'd check to make sure.

I'm guessing that foam/bubbles doesn't have much taste then.... I'm tempted to taste some of it.

Fill that foamy bottle with water, then take a sip. How's it taste? Like water? Foam is fine.

(science answer: StarSan kills via pH, not chemical...once it's diluted with water or beer, the pH rises far above killing range, rendering it completely inert to yeast and you)

Yeah, star san has no real flavor, just an acidity you feel in the mouth. And even that eventually degrades into a form of phosphorus that yeast will metabolize (cuz its trace amounts).

Back