Starsan - Been there, done that!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quid_non

Reaction score
Just a quick reminder about plastic jugs and diluted StarSan - keep the working solution in a place that WHEN it leaks it will not create damage. Had been keeping a gallon water jug of StarSan solution ready to use when I needed it in a kitchen cabinet. Probably refilled the jug 10x over the past 6 months. Today I look at the cabinet and the bottom is falling apart, it was constructed of fiberboard coated with a plastic laminate. The jug developed a pinhole leak and the slightly acidic StarStan slowly leaked out slowly and destroyed the bottom shelf and sides of the cabinet. This is not new - I read several threads about plastic and StarSan issues but did not take precautions. Now I will keep the plastic jug in a place that if it leaks it will not cause problems.

Live and learn!

Star San at the dilution we use will not eat a gallon jug. But many of the gallon water jugs stores sell with water are super thin and get pinholes from age alone. Plus they are making them so they break down faster in landfills...

My 5 gallon bucket I use for Star San is 2 years old and fine. I use spray bottles with it that are over a year old. Heck it comes in a plastic bottle!

Now it WILL make vinyl tubing get slimy if you soak it to long!

Last edited:
I use one gallon distilled vinegar jugs. They are designed to hold a weak acid and are super tough. Really have to work hard to dent an edge to start a leak. Problem is they never leak and I have four new ones every year from the Fall canning.

I use one gallon distilled vinegar jugs. They are designed to hold a weak acid and are super tough. Really have to work hard to dent an edge to start a leak. Problem is they never leak and I have four new ones every year from the Fall canning.

Yikes ! I knew that discipline was a big thing in Wisconsin, but a ritualistic fall caning, with vinegar for the wounds caused .... that's rough.

Star San at the dilution we use will not eat a gallon jug.

Consider the thickness of a plastic water jug and the thickness of the plastic container Star San is sold in. The latter is a much thicker plastic and likely a different composition.

Like the idea about plastic vinegar jugs -thanks

Whatever - did the experiment once, don't need to repeat. Use at your own risk.

Funny my thin Walmart plastic spray bottles have never leaked. I have star san in a gallon water jug sitting in the kitchen for filling spray bottle. Never leaked. White food grade bucket of star san for 2 years and never leaked...

Water jugs are cheap disposable plastic. They damage EASY and all it takes is to set one down to hard to crack it.

i use a Poland spring 1 gallon jug to mix my star san which is the same plastic star san comes in HDPE 2

I keep Starsan in a 5 gallon water bottle. I top it up from time to time. It had Starsan in it constantly for 6 years until I moved. I don't have any reason to think it was going to leak anywhere in the near future.

I keep StarSan for future use in plastic one gallon Arizona Ice Tea jugs. These jugs are super thick and work great with no leaks. I drink the Arizona zero calorie green tea (made with ginseng), so I always have empties available to use.

John

Latest posts

Back