Starsan and Foil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Would it be OK to pour your distilled water and starsan into a foil pan to soak your equipment in? You know, those throw away casserole foil pans that you use for roasting chickens or pulled pork. Would the foil effect the integrity of the starsan solution?

Thanks!

I think you'd be fine, but there may be science behind it. I usually will put tin foil down on a surface and spray starsan on it so I have a clean place to put stuff down on.

Starsan being a mixture of acids, it could leach metal out of the pan into the sanitizer. That's why aluminum kettles have to be oxidized before use. A plastic pan would be better. Like wallpaper pans for soaking long bits of equipment. No-reactive would be best.

people use starsan and foil for about a billion things around these parts. I would't store your starsan in it, but using it as a sanitation tub will be fine.

Back