staring at my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDorty3

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem?

I can't stop looking at my beer. It's just a bucket, but I can't turn away. I am amazed that I made something that will eventually get me drunk.

I am a first time brewer. Ever since I put my wort in the primary fermenter I have been sitting in front of it and just staring at it... dreaming of the day that it gets me drunk.

Every once in a while I put my nose right above the holes on the top of the airlock and sniff the scent. I imagine how it will taste when it's done.

God, I need help.

Today was my first full day of fermenting and I was next to my beer all day long. A friend stopped by and tried to get me to go out. I told him I had other things to do, but really, I just wanted to be with my beer.

Is this common?

-tim

ummm ok well for one for me - the getting drunk process ended somewhere around mid to late twenties. now it's more about enjoying a good beverage.

when i have a brew in the primary or secondary - yes i do check it daily

yes i think the smell of fermenting brew smells heavenly

now as far as the fermenting process interfering with your social life - well i hate to pass judgement but relax - go have fun - nature will take it from here - in a couple days - rack to a secondary and in about three weeks enjoy.

I'm with ya TDorty3. One of the reasons to go with my glass primary fermenter was to add to the pleasure of the time spent staring at my brew! Women beget children and never stop talking about the magic and how special their gift is ( can't argue that )... I make beer!

As far as the getting drunk part... mid to late twenties? wow, guess I'm still young at heart ;)

You'll be pleased to know beer watching occurs on this side of the atlantic too.
I work away from home for a month at a time and dare I say it but my home brew is in my thoughts as much as my wife and kids when I'm away.
We get two 5 minute phone calls a week and one of the first questions I ask is how is my beer getting on, or if my wife has bought the brewing ingredients ready for me to start my next batch when I get home for my month off.
I can hear that airlock bubbling reassuringly in the background as I type this but I'd better go and have look.............

Roger.

(With sirens blaring and light aflashing in the background....)

STEP AWAY FROM THE PRIMARY FERMENTER ! ! ! !

I REPEAT...STEP A WAY FROM THE PRIMARY FERMENTER !

DO NOT INSERT THAT IV LINE INTO YOUR VEINS IN AN ATTEMPT TO GET YOUR BREW FASTER ! ! !

Fermentation is a natural process that cannot (should not) be sped up. Allow it to stay its course.

Patience is important here.

Enjoy your brew when it's ready. :D :D

Back