Starch Conversion Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I know you are supposed to use iodine to test for starch conversion but I can't find actual iodine anywhere. Could I use Alkaline Iodide Azide solution? I use this when testing dissolved oxygen using the winkler titration method by adding starch to a solution and it turns blue. Could it be used in the opposite way?

You should be able to get iodine at the pharmacy.

Insofar as using the other method, I don't see why that wouldn't work if you aerate or otherwise get some oxygen in there.

I don't think they sell iodine anymore at the pharmacy I checked Target, Walmart, and 2 other local drugstores and they they didn't have it.

At least I know it is out there I'll try a few other places. thanks

If you "google" iodine tincture you will find what your looking for. I picked it up @ the counter of my local drug store, I did have to sign a form though.

I don't think they sell iodine anymore at the pharmacy I checked Target, Walmart, and 2 other local drugstores and they they didn't have it.

That's because you live in NY. You have to go out of state to buy it legally. You can mail order iodophor, but even the smallest bottle of iodophor is going to be much more than you need for starch conversions.

-a.

That's because you live in NY. You have to go out of state to buy it legally. You can mail order iodophor, but even the smallest bottle of iodophor is going to be much more than you need for starch conversions.

-a.

This damn state:mad:

I may buy idophor next time I need sanitizer just for this method. I thought maybe some of the folks that post here with a chemistry/lab background might be familiar with alkaline iodide azide.

Latest posts

Back