Star San spray bottle problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
I’m finally joining modern times and have started to use Star San instead of iodophor. I really like the spray bottle method due to the short contact time. Just wondering if anyone has any horror stories or issues with infection after using the spray that they attribute directly to using the spray. Could be no one has any, just wondering.

I'm going off topic now, but note that not all spray bottles handles Star san well.

I tried a couple spray bottles from the dollar store. Before long I noticed the Starsan coming out was brown. Apparently, the Starsan corroded the cheap steel springs inside the pump mechanism. Tossed those out and picked up a couple Zep brand quart spray bottles at Home Depot. Still use them after several years and never a problem.

Funny how such a cheap and simple device can make a difference.

I use a spray bottle that Target sells in the household cleaners area and it works perfectly fine. Having star san in a spray has led me to using it all over the kitchen, sanitizing cutting boards, counter tops, my kids highchair, etc.

Modern times? Iodophor kills all gram positive and gram negative bacteria, all fungi including yeast, wild yeast, and mold, and all spores. Star San kills most but not all bacteria and leaves you to clean up the rest. I have had mold growing in a bucket of Star San that still tested effective by pH and the visual indicator.

That said, while iodophor is my first line sanitizer, you can't beat the convenience of a spray bottle, and Star San does seem the best option there if you can't use ethanol. I still do use it that way to hit fittings and such. I've had it in a Zep spray bottle from Home Depot for years with no problem. You want a spray bottle like that that's intended for janitorial and shop use with harsh chemicals. Should have something on the label.

Back