Star San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingSailor

Reaction score
Racked my first brew from my primary to secondary fermenter today. While I originally brewed 2 weeks ago I didn't have Star San, just One-Step. After finding out that One-Step isn't a sanitizer I got some Star San. I used it to sanitized everything used in the racking and secondary fermenter, including the stopper and airlock. Once the beer was transferred I went to to put the stopper and airlock on the glass carboy. Due to the slickness of the Star San that was still on the carboy and stopper, the stopper would not stay put! It kept popping out. Eventually I pushed it down in there are used some tape over the top to insure that it wouldn't keep popping out. I realize that eventually the slickness will go away and the stopper should stay in without the tape but in the future, what should I do to avoid this problem? If this was primary instead of secondary fermentation I would be much more worried.

haha I had the exact same thing happen to me when I racked to secondary. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I look forward to hear the responses.

I didn't go so far as to tape mine down. I was afraid it would go right in, and as of now, I don't have a back up. I got it as securely in there as possible. When it dried a bit, I pressed a little more to get it in more securely.

I just use a fresh paper towel to scrub the inside of the carboy neck and the stopper itself. After a good wipe down with the towel, no more problems.

Next time use a fresh new paper towel and wipe down the stopper and the carboy opening.

there is not much to worry about, for thousands of years people have brewed, with out star-san, it takes quite a bit to harm beer !

Congrats on your first brew !!!

-Jason

Isopropyl alcohol ... 70% solution will sanitize dry quickly and not make the stopper slick. Just a wipe with a paper towel soaked with it will do.

I spray my rubber stoppers down with Star San when I start my brew day, then let them sit on a fresh paper towel to air dry. No, it's not 100% sterilized after that, but as homebrewers we never get 100% sterilization anyway, so I don't sweat it. You can also get universal stoppers that have a small shoulder on them so they don't go all the way down.

Then again, I pretty much just use carboy caps or tinfoil now.

I've seen that its not really from the StarSan. If you mix it properly, it won't be slippery anyways. I've had it happen with Iodophor too. Its just slippery from being wet, thats it.

Cool thanks for the responses. Not a huge problem I was worried about but something that made me take pause none the less.

There are a lot of people that don't use airlocks and just cover the hole. Remember, initially the yeast need oxygen and when they start producing CO2 after the attenuation phase the remaining air mixture is pushed out and the surface is protected by a layer of CO2, so it's not critical that the bung be airtight initially. The only time you really have to worry is when the krausen begins to fall. So just relax, have a home brew and when you can, push the bung in a little further.

I spray my rubber stoppers down with Star San when I start my brew day, then let them sit on a fresh paper towel to air dry. No, it's not 100% sterilized after that, but as homebrewers we never get 100% sterilization anyway, so I don't sweat it. You can also get universal stoppers that have a small shoulder on them so they don't go all the way down.

You are confusing your verbs. You can never sterilize with StarSan.

You can sterlize your bungs by placing them in a pressure cooker and going for 90 minutes at 20lbs.

Remember San-star doesn't ever sterilize, just cleans. But does a super job at making sure the homebrewer doesn't have "any" problems

I use star san and the Orange carboy caps, no slippery stoppers to deal with just pop them on and your good to go. They are 5 times the price of a rubber stopper but the lack of headache is completely worth it to me.

Back