Stalled Fermentation or Too Many Unfermentables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hope this isn't too drawn out, but I figured it's all relevant information:

I brewed my first beer on the 19th and did a 3.3 gallon batch of BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops and did it BIAB/No-Chill. Overall, everything went well; however, my mash technique needs work. I was suppose to mash at 152 and twenty minutes into the mash I checked my temperature and it was down to 148. I hit it with some heat and checked it again twenty minutes later and it had jumped to 156. I didn't want to water it down any with cool water so I just let it ride out till my mash was done and it seemed to stabilize around 153. I hit ~80% efficiency and was pretty happy.

I am fermenting in a corny and about 36 hours after transferring my wort to the corny I pitched a starter of Pacman yeast I had harvested from some bombers. Unfortunately, I was too anxious about getting my yeast into the fermenter that I forgot to take an OG before pitching, but calculations say it should have been 1.043. I checked the SG six days into fermentation and was at 1.020. I measured it again today (now 8 days after pitching) and it is still at 1.020. It should get to about 1.010 or even 1.005 based on the recipe and other brewer's feedback.

I don't want to try and rush but I am concerned that it is either stuck fermenting or that by mashing at too high a temperature I wound up with more unfermentable sugars than I should have and so it's reached terminal gravity. Thoughts?

I say give it a stir (I guess a shake for a corney? never fermented in one of those... and let the tmep rise a little like 5-10 deg. then wait another week and see if that did anything.

1.020 is mighty high.

The only way to know for sure is to a fast ferment test, though.

I pulled out a sample again today, still 1.020. Ended up putting it into a pyrex measuring cup and pitched about half of some Bell's proprietary yeast that I have saved. It's on my stirplate and I guess I'll check it in a day or so and see if the gravity declines. If it does I might decant off the beer and pitch whatever yeast growth I get and the remainder of my Bell's to try and get things moving along.

I say give it a stir (I guess a shake for a corney? never fermented in one of those... and let the tmep rise a little like 5-10 deg. then wait another week and see if that did anything.

I have been stirring with a racking cane since I took the my first 1.020 reading with no change.

Latest posts

Back