Stalled fermentation, increased temp, repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
I'm at 3.5 weeks on a pale, OG 1.050, I got down to 1.018 at the three week mark which concerned me, now a few days later I'm creeping up to 1.021. I am using S05 and fermenting at 65F.

I just increased the temp up to 68 and I'm going to monitor it for a few days. What are the opinions of re-pitching at this point? And has anyone had their SG actually go up? Beer tastes fine, and its actually clearing up already. Tempted to actually give it a bit of a light shake.

Thoughts?

Unusual for SG to increase. Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer? Refractometers are less accurate than a hydrometer in the presence of alcohol.
Have you checked the calibration on your hydrometer and corrected the readings for temperature?
What was the target FG for the recipe? Are unfermentables included in the recipe that would keep the SG above 1.010 or 1.012?

Give it some more time at the higher temperature. Take another SG reading in a few days.

Oh wow... you got me thinking. I'm using a refractometer.... And yep I didn't convert. I'm an idiot. I'm actually a tad low at 1.008. Don't know why it went up though... Maybe pellet pieces from dry hopping....

Sorry its been a year since I brewed last and I forgot sooooo much. Thank you!

Oh wow... you got me thinking. I'm using a refractometer.... And yep I didn't convert. I'm an idiot. I'm actually a tad low at 1.008. Don't know why it went up though... Maybe pellet pieces from dry hopping....

Sorry its been a year since I brewed last and I forgot sooooo much. Thank you!

Hey, that is good. Nothing screwed up to fix.

Back