Stainless Steel (SS) Funnels? Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanP

Reaction score
Hello, I apologize if this topic has been posted elsewhere, but I did not see it. I recently purchased a carboy and have been looking around at funnels so that I can pour wort directly from the spigot on my BK to fermentation. I've learned that this is the period in which sanitation becomes absolutely crucial, but I am concerned about the prevalence of only plastic funnels due to plastic's propensity to become a breeding ground for bacteria after some use.

While I realize that sometimes the use of plastics is impossible to get around (e.g., SS tubing would be impractical), I am surprised that there is not any mention about the use of SS funnels as an alternative to the common plastic designs. Can anyone shed some light on what I might be missing here, or if they have used a SS funnel for transferring wort to a carboy and what designs are worthwhile? I've seen some on Amazon but they are very small (max 6" funnel, 5/8" stem) compared to the ones I have seen for carboys (9", designed to fit neck).

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I haven't seen any SST funnels, but then again, I haven't looked. Why not use a hose to go from BK ball valve to the carboy?

Like LLBean said you shouldn't need a funnel if you've got the spigot, course then you'll be worrying about the tubing. I think this is one instance where you can RDWHAHB. For small batches that aren't going in the conical I use plastic for everything - better bottles and buckets I use for yrs, and I've had the same plastic funnel forever. I'm careful not to outright gouge them and I don't wash with stiff brushes but that's about it. I've only had one infected batch in the last 6 yrs (I think from an infected starter) and that one was fermented in the stainless conical, only ever touching silicone tubing.
:mug:

I ran into this same issue a few months back when I started brewing. After seeing the cost of those SS ones I just decided that multiple plastic ones is the way to go.

I appreciate the input, everyone! I think I'll stick with the plastic funnel for now. My last batch turned out just fine!

Or just get some tubing. I just got a ss quick connect, with barb fitting. Tubing goes on the fitting straight to the carboy. No mess no pouring no sh-t.

Latest posts

Back