Tilt Connectivity in SS Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy W

Reaction score
Apologies in advance is this is covered in another thread but some searching on my part didn't seem to pull up a definitive answer. I use a Tilt Hydrometer connected to a Raspberry Pi to monitor fermentation progress through Brewfather. Currently I'm fermenting in plastic carboys in a mini fridge and have no connectivity issues (RPi on top of the fridge, carboy obviously in the fridge). I'm waiting patiently for my new Spike CF5 conical to arrive and I'm wondering if I'll need to look at buying or building a Bluetooth repeater considering the Tilt will now be now fully enclosed in stainless steel.

For the brewers out there using a Tilt inside an SS conical, connected to an RPi, do you use a repeater or are you still able to connect directly?

Thanks!

The tilt will work through the SS CF5. I don't use an RPi, I just use an old phone that sits on top of the 4" port and have had no issues with connectivity. However, if I move the phone around I find that it needs to be within a few inches of the fermenter. So something to keep in mind with how close your RPi BT transmitter will probably need to be.

The tilt will work through the SS CF5. I don't use an RPi, I just use an old phone that sits on top of the 4" port and have had no issues with connectivity. However, if I move the phone around I find that it needs to be within a few inches of the fermenter. So something to keep in mind with how close your RPi BT transmitter will probably need to be.
Great, thanks!

I just upgraded to a CF10. It sits inside a freezer fermenting chamber. Even when I was using plastic, I put the Raspberry pi inside the chamber with the fermenter. My new conical is transmitting the signal just fine to the pi.

I just upgraded to a CF10. It sits inside a freezer fermenting chamber. Even when I was using plastic, I put the Raspberry pi inside the chamber with the fermenter. My new conical is transmitting the signal just fine to the pi.
good to know!

Mine work with a PI W up to a couple feet away from SS Brewtech Chronicals but for a keg I have to set the PI on top or it randomly drops out.

My S&S Brewtech chronical goes inside my fermentation chamber, and even if I rest the receiver on top of the freezer I can't get a signal through. Given up trying to do it.

Back