Stainless steel replacement pump head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
where can I get a stainless steel replacement for my march 809 pump? chuggerpumps.com appears to be out of stock...

where can I get a stainless steel replacement for my march 809 pump? chuggerpumps.com appears to be out of stock...

For them to be "Out of stock" would imply they actually have advertised their availability. Best as I can tell over the last year, they've never actually activated the "pump head" web page with "content".

Last time Mister Chugger posted here on that subject, he said they'd be available in "March" (irony - it's everywhere you look for it ;) )

Cheers!

I PMed chugger the same question a few days ago (looking for the center inlet model) and he said that they would be in stock by March

There will be an "Off with your Head" Sale in March for replacement heads Look for it
We will also being giving away heads on a finalgravity podcast live on Feb 18th

Chugger Pumps - can we put our order in now so that we can be sure to receive them in March? Or, will you have pumps in stock that we can order now and receive in 3-4 weeks? Has been difficult to connect via phone or email with Chugger...but am still interested!

Walter,

I believe March doesn't offer stainless heads, are there plans to in the future?

We do have a stainless 809. Issue is that we get ours form a US Source and it costs us almost as much for the raw casting, before we even get to machine it, as the competition is selling a complete pump head for....or were selling. I havent seen just replacement heads from them in a while . But we have plenty of them in stock and are even currently at the CNC machine. :)

http://www.marchpump.com/809-ss-hs-c/

809-SS-HS-C.jpg

Are there any improvements with the SS head, other than stronger pipe threads and "bling"?

The polysulfone and SS replacement heads both have an inline inlet, so I can't imagine there is any difference in flow.

Are there any improvements with the SS head, other than stronger pipe threads and "bling"?

The polysulfone and SS replacement heads both have an inline inlet, so I can't imagine there is any difference in flow.

If you are referring to our pumps, the center inlet style will give you about 1/2 gallon/minute more on the slow speed version and 1.5 gallons/minute more on the "HS" version then the standard inline versions.

As for the debate on Stainless or plastic. It all comes down to personal preference and what you will be doing with it.
I usually ask how the customer is planning on setting the unit up. If they are planning on using rigid tubing, or using high pressure steam for sanitizing, or if they will have a pressurized system, then the metal pumps always because they can take the stress loads on the connection points and can withstand higher internal pressures. If you are using silicone/flexible tubing with an open vented system then the plastic is just fine. The other factor that comes into play would be if you are going to use any chemicals for cleaning purposes....then you have to verify its compatible with what ever you are using.

I've got Chuggers & March pumps. The Chuggers have SS and the main advantage for me is much less noise when brewing inside. The Plastic March pumps would drive me nuts indoors.

I'm just assuming that is why the Chuggers are quieter.

You should not have any annoyoing noise from the plastic versions other then motor fan noise. If you want, send it back to me and i'll go through it and see if theres anything out of whack :)

If you are referring to our pumps, the center inlet style will give you about 1/2 gallon/minute more on the slow speed version and 1.5 gallons/minute more on the "HS" version then the standard inline versions.

As for the debate on Stainless or plastic. It all comes down to personal preference and what you will be doing with it.
I usually ask how the customer is planning on setting the unit up. If they are planning on using rigid tubing, or using high pressure steam for sanitizing, or if they will have a pressurized system, then the metal pumps always because they can take the stress loads on the connection points and can withstand higher internal pressures. If you are using silicone/flexible tubing with an open vented system then the plastic is just fine. The other factor that comes into play would be if you are going to use any chemicals for cleaning purposes....then you have to verify its compatible with what ever you are using.

when putting the ball valve on the March 809 I have the plastic threads were very difficult and with some work i was able to get them on without leaks. Has there been any improvement on that front from March? I was really disappointed when the ball valve basically was rethreading the post on my 809. The SS head would be an added benefit in that regard right?

when putting the ball valve on the March 809 I have the plastic threads were very difficult and with some work i was able to get them on without leaks. Has there been any improvement on that front from March? I was really disappointed when the ball valve basically was rethreading the post on my 809. The SS head would be an added benefit in that regard right?

Cross-threading is bad. Don't cross-thread, mmmkay?

Cheers! ;)

I have used and disassembled both stainless and plastic chuggers and from my experience... the plastic had the high flow impeller and the stainless had the small impeller. That could have been isolated to just those two pumps. Not sure. They were both brand new out of the box pumps.

as far as use... They work great! I had a binding issue on the plastic one at first, then I cleaned up the plastic on the inside of the impeller with a 1/4" drill and it runs flawless. very happy. looking forward to the head with the inlet in the center though.

Yes a metal thread would make thing easy as far as that goes. But i have yet to have a problem here when installing fitting on any of our plastic pumps. The way that seems to work best for me thus far is to twist the fitting in reverse till you get a small "click" that's when the leading edge of each starting thread have passed each other and are right next to one another.....then i start to thread the fitting on normally.
The biggest issue we have found over the years when dealing with metal fittings on plastic parts is when people get a strange thread size fitting. Our pumps come with pipe thread fittings. Meaning they have a small taper to them. If you were to install a metric thread on it or a British pipe thread fitting it may fit initially but it will start to bind then start to cross thread if you continue on with it. Also some metal fittings have sharper then normal starting thread due to the machining process. That leading edge can cut through softer plastic and start cross thread very easily...you just have to be careful on the initial threading :)

I would love to get SS Heads. I broke the threaded portion off of one of my pumps before I even got to use it. I was attaching ball valves and tri-clovers and didn't have the head off the pump. It couldn't handle the leveage I was using. That sucked. Now, I take the head off before making any changes.

Watch for the "Off With Your Head Sale" as part of our March Madness Sale ..will announce here on HBT

Back