• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stainless steel mesh and/or stainless steel wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCubbyHole

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a hop/hot break screen to protect my newly acquired plate chiller and was wondering if anyone who DIYed there own would have some extra material that I could buy off them. Or if anyone has a hop/hot break screen that they are looking to sell. Thanks.

If you know an old lake trout fisherman, they used to use stainless steel wire for getting lures down deep enough. I have a lot of it somewhere. It is stainless and works fine for projects where you need it!

Unfortunately I don't know any trout fishing men around here. most of fishing I do around here is for bass and crappie. Do we have any trout fisherman on here that might be willing to send me some stainless steel wire?

I have some leftover from mine. I will see if I can find it. Ill just send it to you on the house as long as shipping isnt too much. Gotta look for it when I get home though.

Fwiw though, I found it didnt work as well as I wanted. Hop sock works waaaay better for me. Could have just been my design though.

I made a hop spider (or whatever you want to call the things with three legs, 4" pvc coupler and a 5 gallon paint striner bag) but that isn't really going to help me keep hot break out of my plate chiller. Where in IL are you? If by some chance we are close I might be able to meet you somewhere

Wow, check that out....they really need to add location to the app version of this lol. Im in bartlett. You?

I'm in Yorkville so not that close to you but it might be worth meeting somewhere tosave for the shipping.

I totally forgot to look...I set myself an alarm to remind me tonight lol

Haha I appreciate it. You wouldn't by chance have a stainless steel dip tube would you? I think I'm just going to have to buck up and buy one off of BrewHardware. I just have a hard time buying a bent piece of tubing with a fitting on the end for $20+ but I guess that's because its not the easiest to make your own.

Alright, found it. I have a 12x12 inch section of stainless mesh. I dont recall the measurement of squares per inch or anything. Its pretty fine mesh.

And I have a spool of 0.015 gauge steel wire. There is far more than enough lol.

Let me know if the mesh is big enough

Feel free to pm me your address if this is enough, ill send it out tomorrow if you want.

The wire would definitely be appreciated. The only problem with the mesh is that I was hoping to start with a 12x12 square thats already folded (fold a 12x24 in half). With your experience with these hop screens do you think a 12x6 rectangle will be enough surface area to keep from clogging? About to send you a PM my address

I could buy another 12x12 screen but how important would it be to match the "thread count" for the top and bottom of a square

Latest posts

Back