stainless steel hop canister/bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My LHBS has these SS tea balls, about the size of a raquetball. They're fantastic, but don't hold enough. I'm sick of muslin and plastic hop bags.

I'm looking to find or build a stainless steel hop canister or bag for boiling hops. Ideally this would be a cylinder made of wire mesh with a screw top lid, and would hold up to 2 oz of whole hops.

One thought I had was to buy a stainless steel canister with a screw top lid and drill billions of holes in it. Another possibility is to buy stainless steel mesh and use rivets to fabricate it, but I don't know how I'd seal the top. Or a combination of the two.

Any thoughts? I've never seen a product like this.

Hi

Often you see this done as an external gizmo rather than an immersion device. Blichmann and others have those.

For an immersion design, I'd start with a pair of stainless steel food strainers. Probably clamp them together. That's going to give you most of what you need.

Bob

Back