Stainless Steel chain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRep

Reaction score
Hello all! I bought some hop infusers to dry hop in my cornie kegs and they didn't come with chains. I'm looking for some stainless chain that I can attach them to my lids (lids have a bracket welded to them) and be easy to sanitize. Does anyone have any links that they know of? I searched google and amazon and most everything coming up is for Stainless Steel necklaces. Thanks in advance!
Tom

I recently had a similar experience when trying to find some stainless steel balls to use as hop bag weights when dry hopping.

Turns out, the trick is to search for '316 stainless'. In your case, try '316 stainless chain' - a number of results should come up.

You might also look at 304 stainless - but 304 is slightly more prone to corrosion than 316, especially in a low ph environment like wort.

I'm no expert though, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Also, I don't keg, so hopefully someone else out there will have a better answer. I just thought I would post a reply, so at least you have a starting point.

Cheers!

Why not just drop them into the keg? That is what I do. I have a mesh cylinder and also have used 1 gallon paint strainer bags tied closed as loosely as possible.

I could drop them in the serving keg. Right now I dry hop in my ferment keg and let it sit then transfer to my serving keg. I will see what comes up using the method you said Hopsimus. Thanks for the replies!

I recently had a similar experience when trying to find some stainless steel balls to use as hop bag weights when dry hopping.

Turns out, the trick is to search for '316 stainless'. In your case, try '316 stainless chain' - a number of results should come up.

You might also look at 306 stainless - but 306 is slightly more prone to corrosion than 316, especially in a low ph environment like wort.

I'm no expert though, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Also, I don't keg, so hopefully someone else out there will have a better answer. I just thought I would post a reply, so at least you have a starting point.

Cheers!

304 stainless is the other grade of stainless besides 316 often used ... If im not mistake just about every kettle and stainless conical fermenter sold for homebrewing use os 304 grade so in reality it should hold up ok but like you said 316 would be better. many stainless valves and plumbing are made of the 316. I believe its due to the working properties of the steel that make it harder to form into kettles and such without stress cracks.

Does anyone have any links that they know of?

Pun intended in your search for SS chain?

Dental floss is cheap and easy, plenty strong and most likely sanitary out of the dispenser.

This reminds me, I have a leaking toilet and the chain to the flapper appears to be stainless, even has a nice hook type clasp on the end.

But this is the hollow ball type chain and likely difficult to sanitize n/g.

Lol. No pun intended. I did use fishing line for my last brew, but it was tied to the handle as I didn't have the tabs welded onto the caps yet. I'm still thinking I will go with chain. I'm a bit ocd with things and I'd rather spend some money and have something to use forever that has a specific spot to hang in the brewery when not in use, verses buying things and using them once then throwing them away. I know, I'm crazy since dental floss is what, $1?! Lol

That would actually be perfect. Too bad I already have a brewery name. Could come up with a bunch of sh*t (pun intended this time) with that!

304 stainless is the other grade of stainless besides 316 often used ... If im not mistake just about every kettle and stainless conical fermenter sold for homebrewing use os 304 grade so in reality it should hold up ok but like you said 316 would be better. many stainless valves and plumbing are made of the 316. I believe its due to the working properties of the steel that make it harder to form into kettles and such without stress cracks.

Oops. You are correct - I meant 304 not 306. I've corrected my original post. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back