Stainless Steel Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a particular reason you need stainless?

Many conicals (especially pro scale ones but I've seen em on homebrew systems as well) have stainless blowoff arms.

Wouldn't be hard to build an s-type-esque airlock in metal. 3 piece may be a different story, since it's require additional pressure to float it and allow gas to escape.

rather than stainless, if you are just looking for a simple airlock, I have become a fan of the silicone waterless airlocks. You should see if there is one that can fit the fermenter that you use.

I have a bunch of 3-piece airlocks in a drawer. I should say, I have a bunch of the caps and floaty things from 3-piece airlocks in a drawer, because I've converted the bases into use with blowoff tubes. After the activity settles, I use the 2-bubble versions.

I Think by the OP name he brews with Brett and wants to eliminate plastic. ? This doesnt matter though if one just keeps an airlock for hours and one for regular beers.
We make kettle sours at the brewpub and have had no issues, even with using plastic conicals. I do believe the whole contamination. Thing is greatly exxagerated.

I Think by the OP name he brews with Brett and wants to eliminate plastic. ? This doesnt matter though if one just keeps an airlock for hours and one for regular beers.
We make kettle sours at the brewpub and have had no issues, even with using plastic conicals. I do believe the whole contamination. Thing is greatly exxagerated.

Maybe the OP's name is Brett.....

Stainless steel seems like way too expensive an item to produce for a very small market. Good luck in your search for one. There probably is one out there.

I have a bunch of 3-piece airlocks in a drawer. I should say, I have a bunch of the caps and floaty things from 3-piece airlocks in a drawer, because I've converted the bases into use with blowoff tubes. After the activity settles, I use the 2-bubble versions.

the 3pc really *is* quite good for attachinging blowoff hose...

Now that I use Brew Buckets I use these to connect blowoff tubes.

DSC_7477_800x.jpg

I rarely use carboys anymore, except the 3 gallon for the occasional 2.5 gal batches, and 5 gal for racking ciders off the lees.

I have a bunch of 6.5, 6 and 5 gal glass I should probably get rid of but I see people on Craigslist who can barely give them away. I suppose I could fill 'em up with pennies. ;)

Maybe the OP's name is Brett.....

Stainless steel seems like way too expensive an item to produce for a very small market. Good luck in your search for one. There probably is one out there.
Maybe... but then using your real name isnt really encouraged or all that common here and sours are the main reason homebrewers fear plastic..
I think a stainless steel airlock is just not practical.. how do you know it's really clean inside or how full of liquid it is? I just dont see the benefits

As I think about this, if you are careful and proficient with bending tubing, you could actually make your own by buying stainless tubing and then bending it yourself. You would need to be very careful and patient, as I would think it would be relatively easy to kink or possibly even exceed the plasticity of the stainless and tear it open if you went to too tight of a radius.

Back