Stainless Resteraunt Table for brew stand??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estricklin

Reaction score
So I was going to build one from wood, but I got to thinking about a stainless restaurant prep table. Something like these I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x-48-Com...001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c3bd1db1

Seems like a decent price, I could try to find some used ones but really want them to be the same height and match. I noticed the one in the link above does have some galvanized parts but that doesn't seem to be a big deal to me, i can always paint them later if need be.

Anyone have any idea how much weight they can hold? 20 gallons of wort?

Wonder why I haven't seen other home brewers using them?

The only issue really is that they're tall. You might look at stainless equipment stands for something more like 2' tall. That's what I use and it's the perfect hieght for me. I'm 6' and I can look into the kettles easily and they still have plenty of hieght to drain/siphon. I found mine on Craigslist for $125 and it has a stainless shelf and back with a cutout for electric cords. The stainless top doesn't heat up with my electric kettles and is easy to clean.

The only issue really is that they're tall. You might look at stainless equipment stands for something more like 2' tall. That's what I use and it's the perfect hieght for me. I'm 6' and I can look into the kettles easily and they still have plenty of hieght to drain/siphon. I found mine on Craigslist for $125 and it has a stainless shelf and back with a cutout for electric cords. The stainless top doesn't heat up with my electric kettles and is easy to clean.

Ok that does make sense, I looked on ebay and seen some equipment stands but they are more pricey for sure, I mean I might could luck out and find some on craigslist though.

I could always cut the legs down on the table a bit. 4 ft tall plus my kettle which is almost 20 inches; is getting pretty tall but still seems like I could work with it pretty comfortably, hard to say though since I'm not standing in front of it.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I use stainless steel for my brewing, and each tables weight capacity will depend on its design. Table linked below for example looks similar at a glance, and has an 800 lb top shelf capacity. I'm guessing that'll be large enough to cover your needs, unless you're brewing batches larger than 20 gallons, but definitely check with the manufacturer for its capacity.

Before purchasing I'd figure out weight of equipment which will be held on top, max grain, and max water to ensure you don't exceed capacity.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...eel-work-table-with-undershelf/600T2448G.html

You'll be fine with a 16 gauge table, I hold 40 lbs of grain in a 1/2 barrel plus a burner and a 10 gallon HLT on a 36" wide SS table. Get the castors so you can move it. Just get the heavy duty castors.

Ok that does make sense, I looked on ebay and seen some equipment stands but they are more pricey for sure, I mean I might could luck out and find some on craigslist though.

I could always cut the legs down on the table a bit. 4 ft tall plus my kettle which is almost 20 inches; is getting pretty tall but still seems like I could work with it pretty comfortably, hard to say though since I'm not standing in front of it.

Thanks for pointing that out!

You know, I was thinking they were 4' tall too but looking again I see they're 35". You may find that that's ok for you. I would find something that tall to set your kettle on to see how it feels.

ETA: It looks like Kal is using the prep tables now:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-stand

So, they clearly work for people.

Last edited:
SS prep table work fine. You can cut down the legs to suit your needs. I use one at 18"x72". Found new on Ebay. I forget the name of the manufacturer. Needless to say it is of Chinese origin. I have not cut the legs down but plan to once I get my exhaust hood fabricated.

I use a SS equipment stand and I love it. Craigslist is your friend for these things. The heights of the prep tables are somewhat adjustable, in that you can fine tune it an inch or so. Don't worry about needing two that are exactly the same.

20140810_100518_Pano.jpg

For anyone who has these in their brewery...do you know if the shelf level is adjustable? I'm tempted to get one, trim the legs down, add casters and use it as a base for Blichmann burners, but I'd probably need to trim the legs further then the typical shelf mounting position (in all the pictures of tables on that ebay link anyway) would allow.

I have the 72x30 from ABR.
3 20Gal kettles.

The 72" from ABR is only 18Guage, and is a bit on the flimsy side, is rated for 500# or 550#, I don't remember which..
However with a bit of reinforcement it works just fine.
20141018_154718.jpg

Empty Kettles on table:
FD94tCrlv7WPmCL0h93MVNREEX3pXmIpwkok0KK5iJI=w1197-h761-no

HLT on left: w/18Gal MT Center: approx. 14Gal+approx 30#Grain
Boil Kettle has about 8 Gallons of water in it.
Bow in center is less than 3/32" after reinforcement. Without it was over 1/4".
PEMFSiNxzaYfVHc_OaSpbXY5XTItjfRe32aX8ife2kA=w1197-h779-no

3 20Gal kettles.

The 72" from ABR is only 18Guage, and is a bit on the flimsy side, is rated for 500# or 550#, I don't remember which..
20141018_154718.jpg

Empty Kettles on table:

How did you attach the strut to tour table? Can't tell from the picture.
3 20Gal kettles.

20141018_154718.jpg

Empty Kettles on table:

How did you attach the strut to your table? Can't tell from the picture and I think I need to do the same.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back