Stainless Racking Cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
i got a cool stainless racking cane yesterday. neat little gadget. :D don't know why i have never had one in my 6 years of brewing??? :confused:

doesn't have the little cap on the bottom to keep sediment out, but has a spring coiled around the bottom (i guess to keep from hitting bottom and cracking the carboys?). i suppose i can use the cap off the plastic cane i shattered brewing last week?

I think the spring is there to hold the cane off the bottom of the carboy and out of the trub.

I shattered 3 plastic canes before going stainless. Now if they'd just create a stainless hydrometer. :p

Wild

kinda figured, just didn't think it would keep enough sediment out. i just put the black cap on it like my plastic one. worked great.

wild, that's one reason i don't use my hydrometer much. tired of breaking and buying them!

i broke my racking cane yesterday, luckily i was done with it for the day... plastic only takes soo much abuse, and i applied way too much drunken force on it.... :D

hhmmmmm.....sounds WAY too familiar! that's one reason (and the only one!) that i don't like people coming by when i brew. they all want to drink my brew while i brew, and i end up ****-faced by the end of brew day.........glad they like it though!!!!!

i try to keep the imbibement to a minumum when i'm playing with the propain, but once the boil is over, it's on :)

my syphon hose took a crap on me, got all gunked up for some reason, so i was using a lenght of hose i use to sparge hot liquor with, it didn't form a good seal on the cane, cause of the diameter, so some duct tape applied fixed it up right. however, i wasn't as careful when i went to pull the hose off, and ripped the cane right in two... Grrrr....

my twenty bucks a week brew budget is already falling behind.....

I've only ever broke 1 thermometer. What are you guys doing?

Now, I must admit, I've broken at least 4 Hefe Weizen glasses this past year (one this weekend). :mad: :mad:

I'm going back to Germany in a couple of week so I can get some more HW glasses.

I only have about 100 of them left! :D

i'm not known for being easy on things!!!!

my sister-in-law bought me 4 nice hefe glasses w/ my initials engraved on them. thought that was cool, 'cause i didn't have any hefe style glasses.

Latest posts

Back