Stainless fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 163849

Reaction score
Anybody know if this thing is safe to use as a fermenter? It is a portable eye wash/shower station from the 80's. The eye wash part was removed and I used as a camp shower for a while. There has never been anything but water and/or eye wash solution in it. If nothing else I'll use it for Starsan "on tap".

2015-01-06 18.16.41.jpg

I have never kegged or been around kegging so I did not realize until today that this emergency eyewash/shower station is nothing more than an eleven gallon corny keg without the quick connects. It is marked Firestone Challenger VI, 150psi max and stamped with A2 whatever that means. So I may just round up some quick connect posts to replace the plumbing on this thing.

That thing is awesome. Thanks for the tip. I've never seen one of these before.

I just picked one up on E-Bay. It's a 10-gallon Firestone keg. It looks like a regular corny with a few attachments. I got it for $75. The guy wanted $150. Another guy countered me for $100, but I turned that down.

I'm thinking long-term aging tank, fermenter, or even a serving keg if I can find adapters. It looks like a regular corny, though. Hopefully I can just add QDs.

I have never kegged or been around kegging so I did not realize until today that this emergency eyewash/shower station is nothing more than an eleven gallon corny keg without the quick connects. It is marked Firestone Challenger VI, 150psi max and stamped with A2 whatever that means. So I may just round up some quick connect posts to replace the plumbing on this thing.

You could ferment 10 gallon batches in that thing. Nice find!

This what I ferment in now. I bought a couple of these from a HBT member. They are awesome! I transfer to 5 gal kegs under presure, and yeast washing is super easy.

Have you removed the hoses yet? Can you easily replace them with ball lock QDs?

Yes. The connections appear to be the standard Firestone Challenger VI configuration for ball lock posts. I think one is 5/8" and the other is 9/16". it will be a while before I order posts for this to be sure. Other projects are ahead of this one.:)

Yes. The connections appear to be the standard Firestone Challenger VI configuration for ball lock posts. I think one is 5/8" and the other is 9/16". it will be a while before I order posts for this to be sure. Other projects are ahead of this one.:)

Sweet! I just picked up 2 of these and I was hoping a conversion would be fairly easy. I'm just going to cannibalize another keg, so I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Where? I am looking for some more.

I got them on e-bay.

I looked for eye wash stations and found a bunch. Most of them are pretty expensive, but several had missing parts. I'm guessing it's hard to sell one of these without all the parts. They were selling for ~$150. Both had 10-gallon Firestone kegs.

Shipping ranged from $25-$50, so I looked for the items with low shipping as well.

I offered $75 on a bunch of them. I got 2. They should be here on Friday.

I found a new 10-gallon tank online for $275. 5-gallon cornies are going for ~$60. I feel like I got a good deal.

That is a good deal. I paid 200 a piece for my two and picked them up in person. I could have gotten them cheaper form another source but I wanted them right then. I have had them like two months and have used them for 6 batches already.

When I get them I'll start up a thread. I'm anxious to see the condition, and how easy it will be to put them in service. My first goal is to use them to store 20 gallons of RIS for 6-months of long-term bulk aging. After that I want to look in to using them as a fermenter.

Latest posts

Back