Stained BIAB Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
Been using my WilserBrewer bag for over 20 batches now (shout out to Wilser) and I've stained the living turd out of the thing.

It's an amazing bag and is showing no signs of wear other than the brownish hue it has adopted.

Any tips on how to restore this bad boy to it's former glory, is it permanent and should I even bother?

Prost!

Hot soak in pbw helps. Doesnt get white again but does lighten it up. Some folks throw it in the laundry.

No purpose other than looks. It’s the same reason that after brewing I wash and scrub my stainless brew kettle like it’s a French prostitute.

I’m a vain man, man.

My advice would be to appreciate the wonderful patina the bag has developed.

I tried a hot oxiclean soak a few years back and that worked somewhat but left splotches and uneven staining that imo looked worse lol.

You could try a wee heavy bleach solution soak that may make it look tidy whitey.

Of course rinse well and air dry to remove any trace of bleach.

I advise against machine washing, afraid it mighty get caught in the wringer lol.

I used to OCD launder the bag each batch, pulling the string to close and stuffing the string inside with the plastic locky-thingy so nothing would catch anything. Then I decided I wanted any wear and tear on the bag to be brewing and why did I care if developed a gloriously grainy hue, as long as it still held grain, drained water, ... yeah, that's all I needed.

Patina is nice. I had mold on mine once, and after a consult with the Wilser Dude, we determined that since everything post bag was to be boiled, it was of no concern. Never had an issue .. Never an infection or off flavor. Now I empty it sooner, give it a quick oxy rinse, and air dry it right away. That same bag still in use and making good beer.

When mine stained I just soaked it overnight in a 30% bleach solution, and then rinsed thoroughly. Came out as white as new fallen snow.

TomVA

My advice would be to appreciate the wonderful patina the bag has developed.

Be proud of the glorious patina, its a badge of honor and a testament to your brewing adventures!

I advise against machine washing, afraid it mighty get caught in the wringer lol.

One should always endeavor to keep one's bag out of the wringer.

The endless innuendos afforded one who BIABs furnish at least half the justification for brewing so.

Please tell me you're not talking about your socks and underwear! :eek:

Lol yea that’s nasty, and I consider myself a sanitation liberal.

I can’t get behind the old “it’s all preboil” when it comes to socks and underwear, unless we are talking supermodels...

Cleaning a BIAB bag to pristine whiteness is against my lazy brewing mantra, if it’s not a well accepted practice to make better beer, then just don’t do it and save the effort.

I've never even considered trying to make mine white again. Only ever used a hose to clean it. 30+ brews and still going strong.

I can’t get behind the old “it’s all preboil” when it comes to socks and underwear, unless we are talking supermodels...

I'm sure the same, um, toe fungus issues apply to everyone, and with StarSan being only a bacteriacide and not full spectrum antimicrobial against fungus/yeast, I am with ya. Even if the holy bejeebers is boiled out of it.

I thought about bleach, but if that’s the only route I’ll just embrace the beige bag look.

Thanks for the responses as always.

While it may not ever be white again, I suggest immediately rinsing and then soaking you BIAB in cool water once you dump the grains out. While mine isn't white, it does seem to stay fairly light considering some of the dark stouts I've brewed.

After emptying the bag, I immediately give it a quick wash in the kitchen sink with dish washing liquid. I rinse well and hang it up to dry. Once dry I give it a shake to get rid of any little bits of dry grain. That's it. It is a bit stained, but not bad. Like others have said, the color doesn't matter a bit to me.

just spray it with the hose and throw it in the freezer so nothing can grow on it.

Back