Stage 2 Separation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akhul

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Right now I am brewing an Amber that I have made before. About 2 days ago I transferred the beer over to another carboy for stage 2 fermentation and everything went very smoothly. Today I went to go check on the beer and I noticed that it looks like the beer and some of the water are separating like you would see with water and oil. Is this something normal that happens in stage 2? I didnt really watch my first batch of this amber that closely so I guess I am a little paranoid :cross:

it is kind of hard to see in this pic, but notice where the grain is kind of suspended... You can see it more to the right I guess....

Thanks much!

IMG_2243.jpg

How long was it in the primary? My guess is that the yeast are starting to flocculate out. It'll make the beer look much darker than it did in the primary.

On a separate note, why do you have grains in there?

it has been in there for about 2~3 days now.

I had the siphon too low and it sucked up some grains :p. Is that going to be a huge issue?

it has been in there for about 2~3 days now.

I had the siphon too low and it sucked up some grains :p. Is that going to be a huge issue?
Guessing you meant 2~3 days in the 2ndary? How long was it in the PRImary? Just trying to get a feel for the timeline.

hmm, did the grains make it from your mash to the boil kettle and then into your primary and then into your secondary? persistent aren't they?

It looks to me like you caught it in the middle of "falling clear". That's actually really cool.

What you're seeing there is the yeast dropping down, and leaving the top more clear. In a few more days your whole carboy full should be that clear.

From the thread title,It was looking like tpffft,beep"Houston,we have a problem during 2nd stage separation"tpffft,beep. Tpfft,beep" What's it doing,apollo?"tpffft,beep tpffft,beep"there's some grainy cludy stuff coming outta the clear stuff on the top of the 1st stage,Houston"tpfft,beep. Tpfft,beep"sounds like an HBF in zero G,apollo. Nothing to worry about"tpfft,beep...:drunk:

10/4 houston we had pfft hccct lift off. seperated pffft. 1st and quxxect. and secondary. We are in orbit houston.

Back