Stage 2 Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wsuryan

Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member and new to brewing. I have a red beer that I brewed two weeks ago. It has been on stage 1 feementation for those 2 weeks. I want to know if it is still okay to move to phase two fermentation or if I should just bottle it? I have received different messages from the brew store. One says bottle the other guy says it doesn't matter how long it is phase 1 before moving to phase 2

Thanks for the help!!

Did you take a hydro reading? If the final gravity is where you want it then bottle it. If not then let it sit for another week. No need the transfer it to a secondary container.

PS. welcome to HBT!

I'll confuse things even further for you. You do not need to do a secondary fermentation at all. Secondary fermentation is a misnomer, no further fermentation occurs. It is more accurately called a bright tank stage. You need to be sure fermentation is finished so you don't get any fermentation when it is bottled otherwise you risk bottle bombs.

I would say that it is probably ready to bottle now. But, to be sure, take 2 gravity readings about 24 hours apart and if they are the same it is safe to bottle.

I ferment for at least 14 days, most often 21 and as long as about 2 months when I get too lazy to keg the beer. All of them have been good no matter how long. Longer may have been a little more clear.

Thank you. I haven't done the reading yet but that is a great idea. I am bottling another beer on Sunday and that was when I was going to move the red to phase 2. Thanks for the response!

Latest posts

Back