Stabilizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneArcher

Reaction score
Do you guys stabilize every batch before bottling? I currently have not, and to the best of my knowledge it seems fine. I don't know if I am going to incur problems down the line or not though.

Do you only stabilize for back sweetening? I have not back sweetened as of yet. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to reliably stabilize is to do it with Sorbate, or other tasty chemicals or pasteurizing?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

my first batch of wine, i did not stabilize..i did not know I was suppose to.
i did back sweeten.
3 mos later corks were blowing and a few lady freinds pretty mad...guess they had carpet.
I cant tell the diffrence when i add campden/sorbate...
I can tell the diffrence when a cork blows..

I know that you are have to stabilize when adding more ferment-able sugars. I am just inquiring if you are not going to add anymore fermentables.

I know that you are have to stabilize when adding more ferment-able sugars. I am just inquiring if you are not going to add anymore fermentables.

I use campden (potassium metabisulfite) at every other racking and at bottling. It's an antioxidant, but it dissipates with time. I try to keep 50 ppm (parts per million) in the wine to help protect it from oxidation.

I do NOT use sorbate or anything else in dry wines, though! There isn't any need to use sorbate in a finished one that isn't been sweetened.

Edited to clarify- some of my wines age for YEARS! If I was making a relatively light wine that would be finished in a year or so, I would probably not use sulfites at bottling. But many of the bigger reds are 5-8 years old when I enjoy them most, and an antioxidant/preservative is very important. I also maintain a cellar temperature of 53-55 degrees.

If you do not add Campden, how long would you estimate the shelf life to be? I understand that there are many variables, but best guess. In years.

I would like to start making big wines and meads. That's actually why I am asking.

Let me reiterate what I interpreted. Add Campden every other racking, and at bottling when it's a dry wine. If its requiring back sweetening, same process but add sulfite as well to stabilize (one time), prior to sweetening? Thank you very much for your help.

If you do not add Campden, how long would you estimate the shelf life to be? I understand that there are many variables, but best guess. In years.

I would like to start making big wines and meads. That's actually why I am asking.

Let me reiterate what I interpreted. Add Campden every other racking, and at bottling when it's a dry wine. If its requiring back sweetening, same process but add sulfite as well to stabilize (one time), prior to sweetening? Thank you very much for your help.

In years? Without any sulfites? Less than one, probably. It'd be fine for a noncomplex wine that will be consumed quickly and if you don't have any concerns about oxidation.

Normally, a winemaker will add campden/sulfite at every other racking, and at bottling. If you have an s02 meter, you'd target 50 ppm. Sulfites dissipate, that's why they are re-added at intervals. If you don't have an s02 meter, the amount of one crushed campden tablet per gallon at every other racking (or 1/4 teaspoon of powdered k-meta per 5 gallons) is a good guestimate.

If you wish to stabilize the wine, once it's clear sorbate is added along with the campden/sulfite. Sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction, and works better in the presence of sulfites, so they are used together to ensure fermentation doesn't restart when more sugar is added to the wine to sweeten it.

Ok; so I just added three Campden tablets, crushed to my three gallons of Rainier Cherry wine. It started foaming, bubbling like crazy. Normal? But only lasted a few minutes. I actually put my hand over the airlock and slowed the release of the air, so it didn't puke.

Tasted it just before adding. Tastes great! Ready to bottle actually.

Another question, if you don't mind. This is directly at the mentioned cherry wine.

I tasted it, I like it and would drink as is. I added the Campden like I mentioned. What I am wondering is, when can I drink it after bottling? Does the Campden impart a temporary flavor after immediately adding? I would imagine so anyway. How long does it take for it to settle out if so?

Another question, if you don't mind. This is directly at the mentioned cherry wine.

I tasted it, I like it and would drink as is. I added the Campden like I mentioned. What I am wondering is, when can I drink it after bottling? Does the Campden impart a temporary flavor after immediately adding? I would imagine so anyway. How long does it take for it to settle out if so?

The normal process is to dissolve the campden tablets in some water, so it doesn't create as many nucleation points and bubble like that. You can even pull a sample of the wine, and then stir the dissolved campden tablets into the sample, and gently add that back to the wine. You really don't want to splash/stir wine once the fermentation has slowed down.

There is a slight flavor to the sulfites, but at 50 ppm or thereabouts you are normally under the taste threshold.

Sometimes wines get what is called "bottle shock" and don't taste very good for a few weeks after bottling. It isn't the sulfite, and no one knows exactly why, but the theory is that it is simply the handling of the wine. It doesn't happen to all bottles, though, and sometimes I'll go through batches and batches where the wine is great the next day after bottling. I don't typically open bottles the next day, of course, but I have in a pinch when unexpected guests have come, and the wine has been great. It's been a rare time when a batch had bottle shock- but it has happened to me.

I bottle my wines once they are completely clear, and no longer dropping any lees at all after at least 60 days. Otherwise, sediment ends up in the bottle.

Wonderfully helpful!

Mix the Campden in water or wine. Then add, perfect.

For fear of bottle shock, I have always waited two months or so before uncorking a bottle.

I have just under a dozen batches under my belt, so learning is heavy at work here. I do learn a lot with each batch. That's why I almost constantly have at least a few going at all times.

As usual with your post's that I have read, you have been most helpful. You are a great asset. Thanks again!

One final question, Yooper; Lets say you are ready to bottle a batch. You add Campden using the described methods. After it is added, how long do you wait to bottle? A fella here at work said that some of the Campden will settle out so he waited a bit before bottling. Do you have a "standard" amount of time? Or was that the 60 days you mentioned earlier?

Thanks!

One final question, Yooper; Lets say you are ready to bottle a batch. You add Campden using the described methods. After it is added, how long do you wait to bottle? A fella here at work said that some of the Campden will settle out so he waited a bit before bottling. Do you have a "standard" amount of time? Or was that the 60 days you mentioned earlier?

Thanks!

I don't wait at all. It's easiest to add the campden and boiling water (they dissolve great in 1/4 cup boiling water!) to the bottling bucket and then rack the wine right into that and bottle.

Campden doesn't "settle out". It works as an antioxidant by binding with the wine so that oxygen can't. It does dissipate with time, so it's best to use it before moving the wine when it has a chance of oxidation. When you add the sulfite to water and mix it up, you shouldn't breathe that in. It's sulfur dioxide. That is what binds to the wine, as a gas, so oxygen can't. You add the salt of the s02 to it, but it becomes a gas. http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/so2use.htm has some good simple basic information on sulfur dioxide, S02.

It wouldn't help the wine if you let it sit to dissipate! The point is to use it to protect the wine.

This thread is incredibly helpful. It has answered many questions I've had about the stabilizing process that I just followed and didn't really understand until now!

Thanks Yooper!

that stuff does stink, and if i get any on my hands , i swear i can taste it...
but it works great in the wine..

Yooper, great stuff! You have added quite a bit to my wine knowledge.

Infinite thanks, all my wine from here on out will be benefiting from this info.

Latest posts

Back