Stabilizing and Clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
My wine has been in the carboy for secondary fermentation for 7-8 days. Its at .996. Should I wait the full 10 days before adding the metabisulphite and sorbate and degas? Or can I just go ahead and proceed? I'm using a Vintner's Reserve wine kit.

Thanks so much!!

Hmm... well that depends on you. Do you want to halt the fermentation at this point? If it's reached your target SG and it's the clarity you want, you can add the sorbate and proceed... these rules are more like guidelines ;)

If this is a "first" kit, I'd follow the directions to the letter.

Later, when you know what it will turn out like, you can start altering some things to see what they do. If you start by altering, you will not have a baseline to compare weather your tweak improved or destroyed the wine.

Ok so I just took an SG reading and it's at .992. The instructions say .996 or less. Should I take another reading tomorrow and proceed if its the same reading? Also, I tasted the wine and it's very tart...is that normal for this stage? I like some dry wine...but this is a little much.

Ok so I just took an SG reading and it's at .992. The instructions say .996 or less. Should I take another reading tomorrow and proceed if its the same reading? Also, I tasted the wine and it's very tart...is that normal for this stage? I like some dry wine...but this is a little much.

It should be about done, but I'd wait the time stated in the directions. I've had most of my red wine kits finish at .990-.994.

Any thoughts on the taste? Where should it be at this point?

Any thoughts on the taste? Where should it be at this point?

It should be pretty good. I've never had one that was "tart", although they are certainly dry. If you used a good quality kit, (and the Vintner's Reserve kits are ok, usually- not great, but not terrible), it'll mellow I'm sure.

I've read about back-sweetening. Is that something I can or should do?

It's a Vintner's Reserve... Blend of Cab Franc, Cab Sav, and Merlot. Thoughts???

It's a Vintner's Reserve... Blend of Cab Franc, Cab Sav, and Merlot. Thoughts???

Well, that style of wine should be absolutely dry. A sweetened blend of those grape varieties would be very weird to someone like me.

However, if after it's stabilized and clear, you still hate it, you may want to sweeten it to make it palatable to your taste.

I do like dry... I'll wait and see after stabilizing and clearing. This is tough since I've never had wine while it's in the process... Only finished product :)

Back