ST Warlock Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moshmont

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a recipe close to the Southern Tier Warlock Imperial Pumpkin Stout. This is my first recipe attempt & any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I took the ingredients off of the Southern Tier website.

Method: All Grain
Style: Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 90 min.
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Boil Size: 7.25 gal.
Boil Gravity: 1.054
Efficiency: 65%

OG = 1.079 FG = 1.026 ABV = 6.89% IBU = 35.8 SRM = 38.8

Fermentables:

13.3 lbs.) Pale 2-Row
2.5 lbs.) Caramel / Crystal 40L
1.7 lbs.) Munich - Light 10L
0.8 lb.) Black Malt
2 lbs.) Pumpkin Puree
0.5 lb.) Rice Hulls

Hops:

0.33 oz,) Magnum @ 60 min.
0.33 oz ) Magnum @ 30 min.
0.33 oz.) Sterling @ 10 min.
2.0 oz.) Pumpkin Pie Spices @ 5 min.

Yeast:

WLP002 English Ale Yeast

6.89% is too low. Warlock is 8.6%.

I plugged your recipe into an app on my phone and it came out with 8.7% with an OG of 1.088. It also put the IBU at about 19. However, there wasn't any way to add the pumpkin puree on my phone app. And the rice hulls were subbed with rice extract.

I plugged your recipe into BeerSmith and got an OG of 1.084 with an expected FG of 1.031. I used 65% efficiency as well. IBUs are 39.8 with those wacky hop additions.

I changed it a bit and have the following:

15 lb 8 oz 2 Row Pale
3 lbs Caramel 40L
2 lbs Black Barley (I am not a fan of black patent and Southern Tier only mentioned "black malts")
2 lbs Munich 10L
4 oz Rice Hulls (BeerSmith puts these in as an adjunct)
2 lbs Pumpkin puree in mash for 60 min
1 oz pumpkin pie spice @ flameout (two ounces seems crazy excessive)

.50 oz magnum @ 60
.25 oz magnum @ 30
.25 oz sterling @ 10

WLP002 ale yeast

1.101 SG
8.6% / 36.9 IBU
1.037 FG
65% efficiency

If you think the pumpkin spice is lacking at time of bottling you could always heat up your priming sugar with more pumpkin pie spice and then use that at bottling. I personally would add a vanilla bean about 7 days after fermentation just for kicks. That is just how I roll, not because I think it is necessary. :)

BUMP! Excellent work thus far. I too am tinkering with this. Had it on draft the other day & immediately bought a few bottles to age...if I don't finish them all before I figure this out.

Im going to make a pumpkin stout 'inspired' by Warlock. What I get from the Pumpking thread is that ST uses some sort of flavoring agent in their pumpkin beers that is likely not something that a homebrewer can duplicate, so I wont bother.

They list ingediants as 2 row, caramel, black, munich & pumpkin. Usually ingrediants are listed most to least, which I find odd. I would expect more munich than the caramel or black.

Im going with this:

12 lbs pils malt (cause I got it)
1.5 lb c 80
1 lb black malt
1 lb munich
1 sugar/pie pumpkin cooked and steeped in strike water (166 1 hr)
1 32 oz can of cooked puree in the mash
1 lb of hulls
1.75 oz Magnum for 60
1 oz sterling for 15
1.5 Tbs Pumpkin pie spice for 5
2 vanilla beans soaked in vodka 3 weeks and added after fermenation
US-05

My numbers not counting the pumpkin are 1.076 with 66 IBUs. My last pumpkin beer where I used the steep/mash method I ended up with 10 extra points, whether due to efficiency or pumpkin I dont know. Im hoping I hit the low 1.080s this time.

Im going to make a pumpkin stout 'inspired' by Warlock. What I get from the Pumpking thread is that ST uses some sort of flavoring agent in their pumpkin beers that is likely not something that a homebrewer can duplicate, so I wont bother.

They list ingediants as 2 row, caramel, black, munich & pumpkin. Usually ingrediants are listed most to least, which I find odd. I would expect more munich than the caramel or black.

Im going with this:

12 lbs pils malt (cause I got it)
1.5 lb c 80
1 lb black malt
1 lb munich
1 sugar/pie pumpkin cooked and steeped in strike water (166 1 hr)
1 32 oz can of cooked puree in the mash
1 lb of hulls
1.75 oz Magnum for 60
1 oz sterling for 15
1.5 Tbs Pumpkin pie spice for 5
2 vanilla beans soaked in vodka 3 weeks and added after fermenation
US-05

My numbers not counting the pumpkin are 1.076 with 66 IBUs. My last pumpkin beer where I used the steep/mash method I ended up with 10 extra points, whether due to efficiency or pumpkin I dont know. Im hoping I hit the low 1.080s this time.

There is a graham cracker extract out there somewhere...seen it referenced in a recipe...1 to 1.5 tsp in 5 gal.

Any follow ups on this yet? I just had this beer locally for the first time. Definitely now on my list of beers I'd like to find a good clone recipe for.

I brewed mine early in October. I hit 1080 OG with some serious sparge issues. I ended up dumping the mash into a paint straining bag at one point.

Im jonesing to bottle, but I keep seeing surface activity in the carboy. I dont want to open it up to check gravity because I've had some infected batches lately, so Im waiting until this weekend to bottle.

Thanks for the updates please do keep us posted!!
Sometimes I think they use other adjuncts not mentioned to hit those flavors. Next fall I'm gonna hit Niagara Falls when the leaves are changing and I'm gonna make sure to stop by Southern Tier and ask them.

Ive been drinking mine for a couple of weeks now.

Its good and close to the original, but missing that graham cracker flavor. Also I went too light on the spices. I did my usual for a pumpkin beer 1.5 Tbs of pumpkin spice. The black malt doesnt overpower it, but it does mute it. I will up it to 2 Tbs next time.

Hey guys, so happy I stumbled on this thread I LOVE warlock. This beer has gotten me interested in imperial stouts and I didn't have much of a taste for prior.

Any more recent updates on recipe trials? I'd love to attempt to make this sometime..

By the way just to help a little I found this after doing some searching. Graham cracker extract! Check it out.

http://www.silvercloudestates.com/product/graham-cracker-extract-flavor-flavoring-809.aspx

Please keep this thread rolling would live to to collaborate on the best clone possible!

Cheers.

Love this too. I recall on the label it has ingredients. Among them is "natural flavor". I would bet this is how they get that "pie crust flavor". I think there is some combination of vanilla combined with other "natural" flavors to get this. Trying for this with malt only (biscuit, victory, etc) I believe would get lost in all the roasted malts.

Is anyone else noticing that warlock isn't as good as the first batch? Last year I started talking about it, and this year I'm noticing the same thing.

Ya I liked it better last year too. Wonder if it has anything to do with the raise in alcohol % ?

Hey I live next door in Brecksville, where do you get your supplies? I'm a rookie and wanted to try this out (despite it almost definitely being beyond my skill level..). Are these all available at a standard supply store or were some of these online purchases like the graham cracker flavor?

I get most of my stuff from the new Homebrew store in Brunswick. They've got everything you need to get started. Whatever you can't find I usually just order from the adventures in homebrewing website.

Have you ever done all grain before?

I made an all grain imperial pumpkin ale this year.. Turned out pretty decent. Has some room for improvement for next year. Definitely one of the harder beers I've brewed.

The batch I put together didn't come out the way I'd have liked it to. But hope remains as there's a few stored in the back of the closet. I might have to crack them this year now that you reminded me...damn you. The plan is to still give it another year to see what becomes if it. I also have a few warlocks from the same year stored away for comparison.

So I looked at this thread for Warlock, looked at the one for Pumking, and put together my own (10 gallon) recipe using those recipes and following my own preferences. What do you guys think, any glaring issues before I start buying ingredients?

30 lbs of 2 row
5 lbs of crystal 40
3 lbs of black malt
3 lbs of munich
1 lb of rice hulls
4 lbs of pumpkin puree (add vanilla/pumpkin spice to this?)
1.5 ounce magnum (60)
1 ounce sterling (10)
1.5-2 tsp pumpkin spice (5) OR 1 tsp each of: nutmeg/clove/allspice/ginger/cinnamon
2-3 tsp graham cracker extract
2-3 vanilla beans in 4oz of vodka, add to secondary

Let me know what you think!

Not sure if my last post sent. Here's my attempt at summarizing this thread and the pumking thread, hopefully the graham cracker extract and vanilla together will really bring this together. Slight change from my last post (part of the dark grain bill apportioned to debittered black)
30 lbs of 2 row
5 lbs of crystal 40
2 lbs of black malt
1 lbs of debittered black malt
3 lbs of munich
1 lb of rice hulls
4 lbs of pumpkin puree (add vanilla/pumpkin spice?)
1.5 ounce magnum (60)
1 ounce sterling (10)
1.5-2 tsp pumpkin spice (5) OR 1 tsp each of: nutmeg/clove/allspice/ginger/cinnamon
12-3 tsp graham cracker extract

What's the latest info on these beers guys? I am brewing a clone of this next month. I found a recipe on Brewtoad. I don't know anything about the site and the guys name is szust. He didn't leave any feedback and I can't figure out how to contact him. The recipe I have for 10 gallons is:
30 lbs 2-Row
6 lbs Crystal 40
4 lbs Munich
4 lbs Black Barley
2 box of Graham Crackers in the mash (it has been notated not to do this, to use extract, but I don't like extract, so I am going to try to get by with it)
Canned Pumpkin Puree, but I am going to use real baked pie pumpkins
2 oz Magnum Hops 60min
2oz Magnum Hops 30min
2oz Sterling Hops 10min
4 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice flame out
4 Vanilla Beans in fermentation
Would you give this recipe a go? Think it sounds close?

Not sure if my last post sent. Here's my attempt at summarizing this thread and the pumking thread, hopefully the graham cracker extract and vanilla together will really bring this together. Slight change from my last post (part of the dark grain bill apportioned to debittered black)
30 lbs of 2 row
5 lbs of crystal 40
2 lbs of black malt
1 lbs of debittered black malt
3 lbs of munich
1 lb of rice hulls
4 lbs of pumpkin puree (add vanilla/pumpkin spice?)
1.5 ounce magnum (60)
1 ounce sterling (10)
12-3 tsp graham cracker extract

I like the way this one sounds. I am going to give it a try. My Mash can only hold 37 lbs of grains. I will convert some of the 2-Row to DME to add at the end of the boil. I will probably add Pumpkin to the boil as well. I always do both when i do my Pumpkin Ale. I also really dislike extract flavors. Never had success with them. I have heard horror stories, but I think I will add crushed Graham Crackers to the mash. I am planning on mixing them with the baked Pumpkin Puree, with a little water and rice hulls, and hope for the best. What do you think of using WLP002 as the yeast? I have used it on a few Porters before with great success. My plan is to have this beer ready for an Oktoberfest Party I am throwing on Sept 16th. I will return to give feedback as soon as it's ready. Probably will brew this early August. Just hope I can find some Pie Pumpkins by then. Hope to hear feedback from you, if and when you brew this.

Its still aging but I'm pretty happy with it. It's been too long since I've had Warlock and am living overseas so I can't compare it to the original. Good roasted flavor that dissipates into a nice vanilla/autumn spice.

I have pulled a few samples from mine and I am pretty pleased with it as well. I ended up using the Graham cracker extract as well as crushed Graham crackers in the mash. All the Graham cracker flavor was gone after fermentation, so that's why I chose to add. I used 3 tsps in each 5 gallon keg. I also used about 6 lbs of pumpkin. 4lbs in the mash and 2 lbs at the end of the boil. Everything else I pretty much followed the recipe you posted. I have 1 bottle of Warlock I am saving to sample them together soon. It seems very close. Either way it's really good. Thanks for posting your recipe, I really enjoyed brewing it and am sure I will enjoy drinking it even more. Haha

Sweet! Yeah I put 3 tsp of graham cracker extract at flameout and I agree it has dropped out during fermentation. I put it into three 2.5gallon kegs (was way off on my pre-boil volume, only ended up wtih 8ish gallons), so I will try to add some more graham cracker to one of the kegs and see how that goes. I'm hoping to put one away for at least 5 or 6 months too, see how aging affects it too. It's my first recipe! It made my day that someone else used it with good results! :ban:

Back