St Patty's apfelwein not clearing???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1025

Reaction score
The Brew:
9 quarts Wal-Mart Preservative free apple juice
2 Gallons Mott's Preservative free Apple cider
2 pounds corn sugar
1 package Red Star Cote des Blancs
OG 1.060
Pitched the above on 3-17-11 at about 58F no activity for first 10 days, until i moved it to 70-72F. Fermented slowly for 3 weeks with no visible activity since then. Current gravity is .990

Now I'm anxiously waiting for it to clear so i can bottle and pitch some Skeeter Pee on the lees.
I'm not planning on drinking this until next St. Patty's day,. but i would like to put my carboy to other tasks.

anything i can do? is it too late for pectic enzyme?
Cheers
Dusty

Did you heat the apple juice? Also, that cider might take a while to clear. I would just bottle it up and deal with cloudy cider. It'll probably drop clear when your refrigerate it for a while anyway.

No i didn't heat it, so the pectins aren't set. I may try to refrigerate the carboy to see if it drops.

Id definitely throw it in a fridge, or you can buy clearing chemicals from LHBS or use gelatin if you dont have access to that much room in a fridge

is there a reason you couldn't rack off of what lees there are and clear in another vessel? betterbottles are only like $25...

If your not drinking it until next year why worry? It will be crystal clear by then.

_

If your not drinking it until next year why worry? It will be crystal clear by then.

_

I just want to get it out of my carboy, and i'm waiting for it to clear so i can bottle.

I have other carboys, i'll probably rack off the lees and then refrigerate and maybe add some sparkalloid.

Back