St Patricks Day Irish Green ale ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
Anyone got a good idea for an Irish green ale? I'm not talking just add green food color to a beer. Something that has a great taste to go along with that green-ness. I thought about throwing a touch of mint flavoring. Something unique....

Thanks,
TxT

Anyone got a good idea for an Irish green ale? I'm not talking just add green food color to a beer. Something that has a great taste to go along with that green-ness. I thought about throwing a touch of mint flavoring. Something unique....

Thanks,
TxT

Mint, malt and hops doesn't sound like a great combination to me, but I've never tried it, so maybe you would want to experiment with a small batch? Or brew a batch and get some mint extract to add to a few bottles? It would be a shame a ruin a whole batch if it doesn't turn out so good.

I just kegged a mint chocolate milk stout, I really like it, not too sweet, good chocolate forward flavor, just a hint of mint, too much mint and it would be undrinkable, mint in a stout is good as long as it doesnt overpower. a little goes a long way and just a touch more and BAM! you have scope flavored beer. now getting a beer green could be a challange!

I hate that green stuff looks like everyone is walking around with kool aid... that aid what style beer are you planning on making? that will decide if you can even make it green.

Adding mint to beer will not make it green regardless.

Besides, green beer is for beer dilettantes. Real beer drinkers don't drink green beer for St Pats day. They drink Irish beer. Leave the green food coloring to McDs for their shamrock shakes and man up. Brew a stout and love it. :rockin:

If you add some birch syrup you'll get a 'winter green' type flavor. A strong birch beer will taste quite green, especially if you color it.

Apparently the original Winter Green mints were flavored with Birch Syrup, so it's a pretty good match.

Latest posts

Back