St Arnolds Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
I love this beer, and I am interested in adding a sweet stout to my repetior.

Can someone help me with a recipe?

Here are the facts as I know them:

33 Barrel grain bill:

2 Row 1750lbs
chocolate 76lbs
Caramunich 118lbs
Special B 424lbs

Yeast:
I was planning on Wyeat 1099 Whitbread Ale

Hops:
The St. Arnolds website says: "We use two different Pacific Northwest hop varieties in the Stout. The resulting hop character is an underlying bitterness that balances the rich body and complements the roastiness"

I was thinking:

1oz bullion bittering at about 9% AA

no flavoring hops

OG: 1.061
ABV: 5.6% (FG should be about 1.019)

Here are some concerns:

I have no idea how to convert a 33 barrel grain bill into a 5 gallon grain bill, this is where I need the most help.

With an OG of 1.061 and an ABV of 5.6%, how in the world am I supposed to hit an FG of 1.019. Wouldn't the fermentation shoot right past that into the single digits?

Any thoughts?

A barrel is equal to 31 gallons. So to convert the grain requirements, you take what's listed and divide by 1,023 (which is 33 bbl x 31 gal) and then multiply by 5 for a 5 gallon batch. For example:

2 row = 1750 / 1023 = ~1.71
1.71 * 5 = ~8.5

As for the other stuff...good luck. I don't know any of that yet. Math I can do.

Right off the bat, I can't remember what hops are in there. I'll be at the brewery tomorrow, and I'll try to remember to ask.

You can also email the brewery ([email protected]), and they'll probably tell you. You can also call DeFalco's or talk with them if you go there for ingredients. Their sweet stout kit uses Target (or Northdown) and Willamettes. Something tells me that's not a coincidence, especially since the two guys that designed the original Saint Arnold Stout recipe are Foam Rangers.

You might be surprised about that FG. It does sound high, but there are a lot of unfermentables in that recipe.

Also keep in mind that the original St. A stout was more of a very robust porter, bordering on a sweet stout. That's what the guys won the first Bag Batch Brew Bash with, according to them. :)

TL

Hey TxLaw, I found those grainbills posted on a wall there....you should ask them about what hops they use and what their "proprietary" yeast is.

If you don't mind :eek:

I really didn't get much a chance to ask about the hops this weekend, so I apologize. I'm sure I will have a chance soon, though.

As far as that "proprietary yeast," you'll never get that out of them. Don't even bother asking.

TL

Back