SSR's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're all over the place. Just do a google shopping search. Ebay, Amazon, digi-key, every industrial supply company (Mcmaster, MSC, Grainger), they've all got them.

Also I would recommend going all 40A, even if you only need 25A as it will reduce heat.

I bought a bunch of 25 and 40's on Ebay. Took a couple of weeks but got a great deal and good parts. The ones I got have zero cross sensing, an LED for power on and an extremely low leakage current. I use a diode ("Freewheeling") on everything across the loads Pos and Neg to prevent spikes. size the freewheeling diode appropriately and your golden. I think all told I spent 35 Bucks on 8 SSR's, 5-20 A and 3-40A. I also found some really nice relay boards with 4-5 volt coils capable of 250VAC@10A. Pretty much got switching covered.
Bob

I bought a bunch of 25 and 40's on Ebay. Took a couple of weeks but got a great deal and good parts. The ones I got have zero cross sensing, an LED for power on and an extremely low leakage current. I use a diode ("Freewheeling") on everything across the loads Pos and Neg to prevent spikes. size the freewheeling diode appropriately and your golden. I think all told I spent 35 Bucks on 8 SSR's, 5-20 A and 3-40A. I also found some really nice relay boards with 4-5 volt coils capable of 250VAC@10A. Pretty much got switching covered.
Bob

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here but 1) don't want a snubber on the load side of an AC SSR or relay. Maybe you mean you're referring to DC loads, or on the control side of the switches.

Also, I don't see an advantage in a snubber on the control side of an SSR, but certainly there should be one on the control / coil side of the relay.

Cheers!

Back