SSR heat sink question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Building a controller for my system to be run through CraftBeerPi. I have 4 SSR which will control pumps (120v) and RIMS heating element.

My issue is that an enclosure I have now is too thin (given some other obstructions) to mount the SSRs to the typical heat sinks that come coupled with them (the ones that raise the height of them significantly). However, the enclosure is quite wide with plenty of volume.

My question is this: I am using an aluminum mounting plate for the SSRs (and only the SSRs). Would it be effective to directly attach the SSRs to the mounting plate (with thermal compound) and add one or more lower profile (shorter) heat sinks to the back of the mounting plate to increase surface area of the combined block of thermally conductive components? If so, the other value for me is that I could strategically place where the fins of the combined heat sink would sit to avoid interfering with other electrical components and wires in the box.

My assumption is that if it is all adhered properly it would have a similar effect as mounting the SSRs to one large heat sink.

I could always just get another box, but I've already cut the holes in this one!

Thoughts?

Cheers!
M

Back