SS Utility sink size and brand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal_golden_beer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a modest brewing space in my garage. I want a stainless steel utility sink. I'm deciding between a smaller sink bowl (24" x 24") with 2 drainboards and a bigger sink bowl (36" x 24") with one drainboard. What are your thoughts on size vs drainboards?

Also, do you have recommendations for brands or how to spot quality? I was looking at Regency brand. They are priced the cheapest but they also have negative reviews about poor quality and rust. My biggest concern is rust. I'm less concerned with durability as I'm not running a commercial kitchen that beats on the sink everyday; I brew about once a month.

This bowl is 24x24x14 with 2 drainboards. Total length of unit is 72 inch:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ad...sink-with-two-drainboards-72/109C1242424.html
This bowl is 36x24x14 with one drainboard. Total length of the unit is 60 inch:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...ainboards-36-x-24-x-14-bowl/600S13624BKT.html
Here's a similar Regency sink with negative reviews:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...-drainboard-36-x-24-x-14-bowl/600S13624B.html
Thanks for your thoughts and advice

Google used restr equip in your area. Most new stuff on the net is crap, thin gauge poor quality. Used in this case is prolly going to be cheaper and better.
Eric

I am in the exact same boat looking at those same sinks! The second one you have listed is the biggest one I can find that I can put a giant 20 gal kettle in. I have that sink in my cart ready to pull the trigger but I have the same concern with the negative reviews. What did you decide on?

I have the 36" regency and the reviewers are right, it will show surface rust if you leave standing water and the sink has such a lack of slope towards the center drain that there is always some standing water. I really wanted the massive size and didn't want to spend $1000. That's why you should find one of the thousands of restaurants going out of business and buy a $1000 sink for $200.

I have the 36" regency and the reviewers are right, it will show surface rust if you leave standing water and the sink has such a lack of slope towards the center drain that there is always some standing water. I really wanted the massive size and didn't want to spend $1000. That's why you should find one of the thousands of restaurants going out of business and buy a $1000 sink for $200.

What if I hit the bottom with a rubber hammer really hard a lot of times think I can make the slope better?! hahaha

But yes that is a resource I have not investigated yet. I will look into that, fingers crossed.

I see you are at webstraunt store website. That is a good place to get stuff, have used it a lot. The Advanced Tabco stuff is top of the line, much of it USA made. Regency is their imported "value line" Some Regency stuff is pretty good for price, but is not top of line. I bought some Regency SS tables and wire shelving, which are OK for purpose and affordable. But , for instance, if you are using a SS table to support a lot of weight, or just want top quality, you'll want the Advance Tabco.

If you get something from some on line "industrial supply" place, be sure sink is NSF approved. I bought a non NSF SS utility sink at one point, and it has un rounded seams at bottom that do not clean out well.

Of course, you can get a great deal on used commercial gear too, if you are at the right place at right time. There are also restaurant supply places in most moderately sized cities which often have used stuff, sometimes from liquidations of leased stuff from failed stores.

Regency is on the thinner side but it is less expensive... I have one of their sinks and it works ok, would have like better quality but its not going to clean anything better than a heavier sink... I bought it being budget conscious. If I were in a business setting or budget wasn't a concern I'd go with Advanced Tabco like mentioned above.

I've oft considered upgrading my Home Depot plastic sink and scrap wood side board with an integrated SS unit. I wouldn't have an issue with something "on the thinner side" as long as the grade of stainless isn't intrinsically prone to degradation (generally, rusting).

I need to take another look around the used restaurant/bar gear stores soon. Sad as it is that so many foodies have failed or are in the throes of failing, there should be a stream of equipment on the market somewhere within a drive of me....

Cheers!

I think I'm just going to buy it. I don't want to running around for a month trying to find a used one from a restaurant. Plus they make coatings for SS to help protect it from rust. And the issue with the bottom slope and drainage seems like it can easily be fixed with a rubber hammer.

I have the Regency 24” 16 gauge and zero complaints. Having a commercial sink and faucet/sprayer in my brewery made brew days go markedly smoother. The bottom of mine has 4 line indentions going from the drain to the corners showing how much slope there is.

I ended up going with a single drainboard sink with a 24 x 24 bowl. I wanted a little extra space for brewing and kid’s bikes in the garage so I sacrificed the second drainboard.

I ended up getting SH24241L from this manufacturer:
http://www.gsw-usa.com/compartment-...-leftright-drain-board-or-2-drain-boards.html
I bought it new from a local restraurant supply store for $635. I looked around a bit for a used one but couldn’t find a bowl bigger than 18” with a drainboard. I got tired of waiting to find one so I bought new. It was pricey but I’m hoping it lasts forever.

I also got this sprayer/faucet combo:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/eq...-on-faucet-and-6-wall-bracket/5105PR8W12.html
I just had a baby so I haven’t even had a chance to brew on it. Can’t wait.

I have the Regency 24” 16 gauge and zero complaints. Having a commercial sink and faucet/sprayer in my brewery made brew days go markedly smoother. The bottom of mine has 4 line indentions going from the drain to the corners showing how much slope there is.
I know, older thread but I see you're still active around here. I'm also looking to buy a stainless steel sink for my garage. I've already removed my old sink and am looking at a Regency, this one, to replace it with. Do you like yours? Any pros/cons? I'm thinking of opting for the 16 gauge rather than the less expensive 18 gauge hoping it will be more solid and better at defending against rust.

I too bought the Regency 36 inch sink.. Like other reviewers, I have had surface rust from leaving things in the sink. I also had the issue of rust on the side seams causing leaks after about a year. I solved this temporarily with epoxy. Not the best solution.

I love the size of it though, can fit a 1/2 barrel keg in sideways to clean..

I too bought the Regency 36 inch sink.. Like other reviewers, I have had surface rust from leaving things in the sink. I also had the issue of rust on the side seams causing leaks after about a year. I solved this temporarily with epoxy. Not the best solution.

I love the size of it though, can fit a 1/2 barrel keg in sideways to clean..
Not something I was hoping to hear. Did you go with 16 or 18 gauge? I understand the 16 gauge is more rust tolerant.

I went with the:
Regency 36" 16-Gauge Stainless Steel One Compartment Commercial Utility Sink - 36" x 21" x 14" Bowl
#600S13621B - EA

Bought it the tail end of 2019. I had to custom make longer legs (The top railing of chain link fence is almost the exact size).
I did not get it installed until the end of 2020.
I thought I had some pictures from when I complained on the surface rust, but I can't find them. Their response was to not leave standing water.
Then about a year into use, I noticed some water on the floor, thought I had been careful, and it was dripping through the sides. Right where the weld holding the sides to the sink.. I'll try and grab some pics later.

Also, the standard free shipping got it to me in 2 days from order for what it's worth..

I know, older thread but I see you're still active around here. I'm also looking to buy a stainless steel sink for my garage. I've already removed my old sink and am looking at a Regency, this one, to replace it with. Do you like yours? Any pros/cons? I'm thinking of opting for the 16 gauge rather than the less expensive 18 gauge hoping it will be more solid and better at defending against rust.
Zero cons. It’s crazy how a purpose built deep large sink and commercial faucet can make brew days so smooth. I’ve had no rust issues. I put a QD on the faucet that let’s me use it for running the RO filter/filling the kettle, steam condenser, immersion chiller supply. and rinsing after I CIP. Also drilled a hole in the side to add another QD for draining. And that’s no considering all the keg cleaning, etc.

Definitely put it as close to your brew station as possible.

IMG_0648.jpeg

I went with the:
Regency 36" 16-Gauge Stainless Steel One Compartment Commercial Utility Sink - 36" x 21" x 14" Bowl
#600S13621B - EA

Bought it the tail end of 2019. I had to custom make longer legs (The top railing of chain link fence is almost the exact size).
I did not get it installed until the end of 2020.
I thought I had some pictures from when I complained on the surface rust, but I can't find them. Their response was to not leave standing water.
Then about a year into use, I noticed some water on the floor, thought I had been careful, and it was dripping through the sides. Right where the weld holding the sides to the sink.. I'll try and grab some pics later.

Also, the standard free shipping got it to me in 2 days from order for what it's worth..
Well that doesn't sound good.I wouldn't have expected it to rust in the first year.

Zero cons. It’s crazy how a purpose built deep large sink and commercial faucet can make brew days so smooth. I’ve had no rust issues. I put a QD on the faucet that let’s me use it for running the RO filter/filling the kettle, steam condenser, immersion chiller supply. and rinsing after I CIP. Also drilled a hole in the side to add another QD for draining. And that’s no considering all the keg cleaning, etc.

Definitely put it as close to your brew station as possible.

View attachment 828879
This sounds better.

Some good, some bad. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Back