SS Tea Infuser instead of Muslin bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorneliusRox

Reaction score
Has anyone switched to using something like this:
SS Tea Infuser

I feel like I go through a lot of muslin backs and sometimes I get them and some are dirty. I figured this would be a better way of doing it.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
probably be fine, just curious how are you going through them? are they falling apart on you? why not wash them?

I've dry hopped in a keg with one of these. Worked great, although I'd go for the largest you can find. I had two ounces of pellets in mine and it was pretty jam packed.

I have one of those as well and thought about using them for dry hopping but have never did. I think it would work great and would certainly be easier to clean.

I use the nylon paint strainer bags from HD for my pellet hops, cheap and reusable. The 5 gallon one can hold a ton of hops. I rinse after I'm done, then on the next brewday I boil it in water before use (the water usually has a greenish tinge after), good as new! I would not try to cram pellets into one of those balls, you wouldn't get very good utilization, and the mesh isn't as fine as the paint strainer bags.

probably be fine, just curious how are you going through them? are they falling apart on you? why not wash them?

You wash and reuse them? I just toss them. I'd think they'd be really tough to get everything out of them.

I would think you would need a bunch of them just to hold a pound of grains. My wife has a couple and they are not very big
I've dry hopped in a keg with one of these. Worked great, although I'd go for the largest you can find. I had two ounces of pellets in mine and it was pretty jam packed.

Sorry, I wasn't talking grains, I was talking for hopping only and I figured I could dry hop in the keg with this very easily. My thought was that it'd keep it weighed down but not get into the way of the supply tube.

I use the nylon paint strainer bags from HD for my pellet hops, cheap and reusable. The 5 gallon one can hold a ton of hops. I rinse after I'm done, then on the next brewday I boil it in water before use (the water usually has a greenish tinge after), good as new! I would not try to cram pellets into one of those balls, you wouldn't get very good utilization, and the mesh isn't as fine as the paint strainer bags.

How do you seal it up? You're talking about those filter bags right? Toss some more info on it if you don't mind!

Yes, these are what I use: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-5-gal-Elastic-Top-Strainers-2-Pack-11573-36WF/202061360
However, I was referring to using them in the boil, not necessarily for dry hopping, although I have used the 1 gallon ones for that purpose, a sanitized zip tie works great to seal it up. Personally I haven't liked the results when dry hopping in the keg, I found it very vegetal when I've tried it. I just dry hop in the primary. After fermentation is complete I just dump the pellet hops in the bucket, flush a bit of CO2 in the headspace, wait a week, cold crash, then keg. I then use one of the smaller mesh bags zip tied on the end of my racking cane to prevent any hop bits from making it through, although its probably not necessary since the hop bits seem quite compacted on the bottom.

LHBS sells one of these. Might work fine for smaller dry hop additions, but looks way too small and cumbersome for multiple additions during the boil.

Back