Ss false bottom ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnFarmer

Reaction score
Just scored 6 or seven of these stainless trays with perforated ss plates on top. The perforated disk is 12.5" in diameter and has a 1 5/8" hole in the middle. It has 4 tabs welded on the bottom that hook into the plate (could add rigidity under a grain load?). The plate is 13 5/8" diam. and has holes in the side and is 1" thick and made so that liquid flows through the perforated disk onto the plate and into the hole in the middle.

I am not sure what to do about the hole in the middle being pretty big.

Any ideas on the best way to use this as a keggle false bottom for mashing? I currently have a 10 gallon cooler that has a 10 ss false bottom. Any idea on a fair value for these? I am probably going to sell 3-4 with or without the plate.

image-2050551318.jpg

image-510219386.jpg

image-4063252415.jpg

image-1134595498.jpg

image-3624021883.jpg

For keggles, you want a false bottom that covers the entire bottom. About 15" diameter works best. Otherwise it will move as you mix the mash and such. IMO, if you use the setup you've pictured, you'll have issues all over the place and end up with accelerated hair loss. :eek:

You need to set up some kind of bulkhead in the hole in the center and that's where you'll route your tubing that goes to the valve. It would have an elbow on it that attaches to tubing that goes to the valve. Underneath the bulkhead would be a dip-tube to get as much out as possible.

Thanks Golddigge. I was thinking that the plate apparatus was too big of a hassle. But I didnt know if someone else could see something good in it. Any ideas other than a mash screen for the rest of it? Also is there no way to use a 12.5" in a keggle? I would rather not buy a screen since I have these.

Thanks Golddigge. I was thinking that the plate apparatus was too big of a hassle. But I didnt know if someone else could see something good in it. Any ideas other than a mash screen for the rest of it? Also is there no way to use a 12.5" in a keggle? I would rather not buy a screen since I have these.

You might be able to get it to work, but I see it as being a major hassle. You'll also need to cut the top of the keggle to more than 12.5" diameter in order to fit it. Without something like a plasma cutter, that's rather difficult.

I got my keggle mash tun false bottom from NorCal/Jaybird. It's the one with a hinge (so I can get it in/out of the keggle), handle and hole in it. The hole is for 1/2" OD stainless tubing, which is how you extract the wort from below the bottom. Without knowing what size the holes are in what you have, it's hard to say IF it would be viable for anyone to use as a FB.

IMO, I'd rather just buy a properly designed FB that I know will work as it needs to. Even though I like to make things myself for brewing, that's one of the areas I won't try to cut corners. Just my $0.10 on it all. :D

Could be useful for other things....they look like great lids for a keggle. I think you might be able to use the material for a hop filter as well. Or, a parts washer if you are into tools and machines.

But, as stated above...if you need a FB then just buy a purpose made one because these will require too much modification.

Back