SS Chronical 14 gals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting one but in some reviews it stated that I need to buy the extended legs otherwise is useless. Can anyone tell me more about that, if have first hand experience with it ? Also while at it, let me know what you think of it in general.

Thank you.

Would help if you posted which make/model you're talking about.

I have a pair of Spike CF10 conical fermenters. I did get the short leg extensions along with the wheels and such. More so that I can use things like a yeast brink (pushes the yeast up through the bottom/dump port) and have the top at a better height for me. Leg extensions for that conical (or all from Spike) depend on how you'll be using it, positioning it and such. I know there are people using them resting on a shelf/table without extensions or anything else.

I am thinking about getting one but in some reviews it stated that I need to buy the extended legs otherwise is useless. Can anyone tell me more about that, if have first hand experience with it ? Also while at it, let me know what you think of it in general.

Thank you.
You can always add them later if you decide they're worth it.

Thank you.

Not sure why it would be useless without the extensions. The main reason you'd even want them is if you wanted to attach a sight glass vertically in-between the bottom of the conical and the butterfly dump valve. Thats mainly only useful for trub/yeast dumping so that you can see when it starts to clear.

I use the half-barrel chronical without the extensions all the time. No probs, even when dumping yeast/trub. I simply attach my sight glass horizontally.

That said, the Spike conicals are worth a look. IMO, they are better due to all welded fittings, larger bottom dump valve, higher pressure handling etc.. They are a little bit wider in diameter though so this is someting to be aware of if planning to use a fermchamber. Thats the only reason I havent already sold my Chronical and bought a Spike.

I use a SS 7-gal. and no extensions. The extensions are tempting but I hesitate to make it taller due to stability concerns. I would hate to see it topple while rolling it somewhere.
The advantage I could see is the extra height might allow gravity transfers but I can already ferment on a bench and that is more than high enough to gravity transfer to my kegs. I could do pressure transfers if I needed to keep it on the floor. I have never had the need to have the top higher, at least not so-far.

Thank you.
Sorry, thought was implied that SS Chronical is "14 gal | Chronical"

I have a Spike CF15 1/2 Bbl Unitank. I put the short leg extensions and caster wheels to raise it up enough so I could easily clean it in place with a CIP spray ball hooked to a 1/6 hp submersible pump. With the added height I can flow the run off straight into a 5 gal bucket with the pump and PBW in it. Makes cleaning the conical super easy. I no longer remove the lid when I clean and sanitize the fermentor. I also use this set up to sanitize it. Works great.

I have a Spike CF15 1/2 Bbl Unitank. I put the short leg extensions and caster wheels to raise it up enough so I could easily clean it in place with a CIP spray ball hooked to a 1/6 hp submersible pump. With the added height I can flow the run off straight into a 5 gal bucket with the pump and PBW in it. Makes cleaning the conical super easy. I no longer remove the lid when I clean and sanitize the fermentor. I also use this set up to sanitize it. Works great.

Maybe I'm ghetto? :p

I have a 14 gal Chronical, had the extensions, and got rid of them, mainly because they make the Chronical way too top heavy. It took just one mistake (moving the Chronical when the casters stopped on something) and down she went. No loss of beer, but a nice dent in the side to remind me of that moment. So I removed the legs, bought the Heavy Duty Casters, and have never missed them. That was about two years and 40 batches ago and no problems with my beer, and no problems with the stability of the Chronical.
(BTW, the SS Brewtech HD Casters are absolutely worth it, especially compared to the cheap casters you would get at a local box store.)

Maybe I'm ghetto? :p

I don't judge, was actually thinking about building a "tipping-safe"cart I can move them around.

Thanks for the suggestion to add casters on, and thank all the great comments here. @Zenmeister sorry to hear about denting yours.

My fermentation chamber is not tall enough and bummed about that part (is just 27" tall) On the brighter side, i will get rid of the carboys and glass in general.

Ps.
Since BlackFriday is around the corner, anyone knows of any sales on conicals, SS Brewtech, Spike ?

Ps2.
Spike does look great and seem to have lot more features, $710 is pretty steep.

Last edited:
Looking at the linked 'chronical' would be a hard pass for me due to a few items.
1. Single TC port in the lid.
2. LOW pressure rating (1-2psi).
3. TINY dump valve (3/4"). Both Spike and Brewers Hardware use 2" TC dump valves and connections. You want the larger.
4. 3 piece ball valve integrated to the racking arm.
5. Temperature port is not a TC connection.

IMO/IME, all fittings should be sanitary/TC connections. Lid, on non-jacketed conicals, should be provisioned for easy use of a chill coil. I wouldn't get a conical where I would need to DRILL into the walls to use a chill coil. IME, chill coils are extremely useful with conical fermenters. They allow you to control fermentation temperature. Easily chill to harvest yeast as well as carbonate IN fermenter. Since the SS Brew Tech unit can't handle more than 2psi, you wouldn't be carbonating in it. A rather significant negative IME/IMO.

Both Spike and Brewers Hardware models are rated to 15psi. Which allows you to carbonate inside (when chilled to 36-40F). I've done this in my Spike units. The Spike models are ready for the chill coils (uses the 4" TC connection in the lid) and Brewers Hardware offers jacketed models so you can have temperature control easily.

I'm actually waiting for Brewers Hardware to have the 15 gallon jacketed conical available for my next purchase. I know it's more than the Spike CF10 (both configured to the same use level) but I want to see how it compares in the real world.

Spikes fermenter is more expensive because it doubles as a Unitank, making it a bargain. IMO, Uni's are so worthwhile...I have a standard Chronical and a SS Unitank. I go with the Uni all the time, and Spikes is a good fit. (See @Golddiggie comments above. He is spot on.)

Good news. Spike is offering a 15% discount on all their fermenters on Monday the 29th. You will need to move fast if you want to take advantage of this. They say first come first served, and they usually sell out of inventory in the first three hours...

Back