( SS BT vs Anvil ) Bucket Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im looking to pick up a couple fermenters and retire my Speidels.. or just use them for cider or something.

Anyway I couldnt find any specific threads that answered my questions. Both of these buckets seem to be pretty good and have a only a few different features from what I can tell. The Brewtech one is about $70 more so I am asking is it worth it to get one of the other? If the Anvil is then and dents and the SS one is thick and dont then maybe the SS is the better value.

Anyway, anyone that has experience with both id like to hear their opinion.

Thanks

I have 3 Anvil's and I really like them so far. I do not lager so the handles on the side do not bother me and most issues people have had concern with have been resolved by now. The Brewtech seems like a great unit and I considered it but it's also 50% more $$ and for me that was the deciding factor.

Here's my take:
I ordered the Anvil. When it arrived, the inside had scratches towards the bottom. There's a thread on HBT that talks about the Anvil Buckets.
The scratches were deep enough where your nail would get caught in it. So I returned it and they sent another- same issue. Returned it and went with the SSBT.

As for as thickness, they are the same. I prefer the flat lid of the SSBT vs the domed of the Anvil. The handles on the SSBT are better IMO as they fold down vs stationary of the Anvil.
If you don't care about the scratches, you should be good. You may even be able to use fine grit sand paper to get them out. I didn't want to go that route. These scratches are due to the manufacturing process.

The inside of the SSBT is smooth. I'm not real fond of the ball valve but it works. I've done about three batches int he SSBT and I'm satisfied.

If you can live with the scratches, go with the Anvil. I couldn't so that was the main reason for returning. The SSBT is basically double the cost.

I also liked that you can buy cooling coils for the SSBT which is another reason i went that route but i recently saw where Anvil is coming out with something similar.

I can't comment on the Anvil's but checked out the webpage. Pluses for the Anvil seem to be included airlock, domed lid, quarter gallon graduations. Pluses for the Ss (the one's I own) is a more conical bottom (Anvil is more sloped than coned), optional thermowell, slightly better spigot (I dislike the Anvil style one's), less space consumed as the carrying handles fold down where the Anvil stays sticking out a pretty good distance from the fermenter, and polished smooth steel.

The Anvil's seem quite good for the price, the choice is yours. Me, I'll stick with my brew Buckets as I've been nothing but happy with them.

Rev.

I'm cheap; I went with the Anvil. MInor issue on the first valve was resolved in a timely manner. The spin weld that joins the cylinder to the bottom needed a little attention with fine sandpaper. I like the domed lid; it's just that little of bit extra room before going into the blow-off jar.

The handles are a bit step up from a carboy carrier/milkcrate. But I don't lager and the basement is more often too cold than too hot.

For either one, it's great to able to top crop the yeast.

One more plus for the brew bucket is that it is stackable. Occasionally you can get them at 20% off through an eBay retailer, but you have to wait for an eBay 20% sale. This is what I did and the bucket was drop shipped from as brewtech. Love mine, it's a great piece of kit.

I just got an SSBT brewmaster one with a bunch of gift cards for the same price as an Anvil, my wife is planning to get me one for Christmas and I feel weird having her spend SSBT money so I told her to get me the Anvil one. With any luck early in the new year I'll be able to run a full comparison of the two. I didn't notice and scratches of marks in the SSBT one but I did notice the welds are very obvious from the inside, just minor deformities from the heat I suspect.

I have 3 anvils, they have been good to me so far, I’ve had them since August. No issues in the 10 batches I’ve done since then.

ive decided if i can sell my conical ill get an anvil bucket with the cooling kit.. i can get both together for the same cost as the cooling for the SSBT only

I have been using both for 6 months which is partially why I am resurrecting this thread. I have 3 Anvils and 1 SS Brewbucket. I like the deeper cone in the SS but the valve is an issue. It is cheaply built and an off size, just like the bung hole. On my last keg transfer the valve leaked like crazy. I would happily trade it for 2 Anvils or possibly even 1 Anvil. The price difference makes the Anvil choice a no-brainer for future purchases for me

I have two Anvils, and I'm completely satisfied with them. I got them early, when they first came out. No scratches or problems with welds. I can do closed transfers with 1-2 psi of Co2. They are easy to clean and they are cheap. I can easily fit one in my freezer/fermentation chamber with room to spare.

What's not to like?

Back