SS Brewtech's Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought that morebeer motor a little under 4 years ago. I immediately replaced the spider coupling because the one that came with it is plastic. I connected the motor to an MM2 and have that on the mill cart.
The E-stop enclosure is a little big but has come in handy for me. Once in a while a rock will get stuck and stop the mill.
I have used this mill for my 3.5 bbl pilot system for the last 3 years. The motor still runs like brand new and the mill shows no signs of wear.
I spent $200 on the mill and $180 on the motor. An old extension cord to wire it all up i had laying around. $380 for a very good mill and motor is really cheap.
I mill roughly 1000lbs per week through the mm2 and it has served me extremely well.

I'm not trying to agrue here or derail the thread any more than I guess I have already but im not sure what you mean by it not being much cheaper. The kegco is $150 with free shipping when not on sale.. I do believe the mm3 is like 2 times that cost with the same hardware purchased separately like the hopper and handle in the 48 states. and thats the cheaper version of in with bushing... If you want the version with bearing its a couple hundred more on top of that.
I'm Canadian. By the time that 150 is converted for our weak dollar, shipping, duty it's not as great a deal. Wasn't worth the hassle to me to save a few bucks. While I don't like to throw money away my homebrew budget is more or less unlimited. Cheers

I bought that morebeer motor a little under 4 years ago. I immediately replaced the spider coupling because the one that came with it is plastic. I connected the motor to an MM2 and have that on the mill cart.
The E-stop enclosure is a little big but has come in handy for me. Once in a while a rock will get stuck and stop the mill.
I have used this mill for my 3.5 bbl pilot system for the last 3 years. The motor still runs like brand new and the mill shows no signs of wear.
I spent $200 on the mill and $180 on the motor. An old extension cord to wire it all up i had laying around. $380 for a very good mill and motor is really cheap.
I mill roughly 1000lbs per week through the mm2 and it has served me extremely well.
I actually had a bolt come in a sack of german malt and end up in my mill.. I wired up a drum switch so I have reverse when rocks or something like this happens... they are very inexpensive on ebay.

I'm Canadian. By the time that 150 is converted for our weak dollar, shipping, duty it's not as great a deal. Wasn't worth the hassle to me to save a few bucks. While I don't like to throw money away my homebrew budget is more or less unlimited. Cheers
Understood. I assumed the MM would have those same expenses, also coming from the states.

800 bux is pricey, but I've quit caring about the relative value of things, If I can afford it (and I can) and I want it and it will improve my beer or my brew day then I'll buy it. Me and my buddy are just garage brewers so this is total overkill for us, but if it brings joy and you got the cake, yeah its a no brainer. Now ill wait for real reviews, I'm not an early adopter, but its just too cool to ignore.

800 bux is pricey, but I've quit caring about the relative value of things, If I can afford it (and I can) and I want it and it will improve my beer or my brew day then I'll buy it. Me and my buddy are just garage brewers so this is total overkill for us, but if it brings joy and you got the cake, yeah its a no brainer. Now ill wait for real reviews, I'm not an early adopter, but its just too cool to ignore.
Thats just it though... It wont improve the beer in any way vs a regular grainmill..
There has never been any evidence to show that the grain cares how its crushed and how it effects the beer... Theres lots of hypotheticals about shredded husks causing tannins and 3 roller mils vs 2 roller for this but I have never seen a single piece of data showing any real world discerrnible difference in the beer vs any other grain mill. Until SS shows this evidence I see no justification personally just more marketing hype. Its fancy and quite expensive but at the end of the day its job is still just to crush grain.. This kinda reminds me of the wipers on a Mercedes headlight...

Last edited:

My thoughts exactly. Also, I wish I had a brewing buddy to split expenses with. Never thought about that.

As someone who does a lot of beers with wheat and malted oats I like the idea/ability to quickly and easily change the gap to get a better crush on the smaller kernels. Ideally I'd prefer if it were more in the 500-600 range as opposed to 800 which pushes it down the priority ladder.

As soon as it's released, I'm buying it. I'll let you guys know how it works vs my current All American with a Crankenstein 328G 3 roller...lol

Hopefully they release it soon.

Thats just it though... It wont improve the beer in any way vs a regular grainmill..
There has never been any evidence to show that the grain cares how its crushed and how it effects the beer... Theres lots of hypotheticals about shredded husks causing tannins and 3 roller mils vs 2 roller for this but I have never seen a single piece of data showing any real world discerrnible difference in the beer vs any other grain mill. Until SS shows this evidence I see no justification personally just more marketing hype. Its fancy and quite expensive but at the end of the day its job is still just to crush grain.. This kinda reminds me of the wipers on a Mercedes headlight...

True, but the same could be said of buying a BMW vs a Honda. Both are fine, both will get you to work and around town. Basically they both do the exact same thing, but lots of people are willing to pay a lot more for the few extra bells and whistles plus sleek styling of the BMW over a Honda. There is no difference in fundamental function and it is just marketing hype.

True, but the same could be said of buying a BMW vs a Honda. Both are fine, both will get you to work and around town. Basically they both do the exact same thing, but lots of people are willing to pay a lot more for the few extra bells and whistles plus sleek styling of the BMW over a Honda. There is no difference in fundamental function and it is just marketing hype.
I dont disagree but this is far from a purchase such as an automobile... This is more like the difference between a designer toaster vs a toastmaster. I think if we are willing to pay an extra $700 for sleek styling on a home brewing grain mill, well either we have a lot of extra money we are just looking to spend on ourselves.. or we buy into the marketing and think its going to do something to improve our beer.. This was the point behind my comment. Still to each his own.

For $800 a person could buy 2 motorized mills and have an entire back up set at a different gap or if something went wrong.

Last edited:
I don't get why so many homebrewers are so cheap and jump on someone when they spend 3 extra dollars on something if it "makes the same beer". Is it because many homebrewers do it to save money? Who knows. If someone wants a sick mill that looks and feels like quality, comes with pride of ownership, most likely works better and is more pleasurable to operate, offers quick gap adjustment, and comes in a compact package, who cares? Or maybe they don't want a Rube Goldberg looking mill "station" with a Harbor Freight drill with a zip tied trigger... Or maybe they don't have the mechanical ability to to put a mill station together out of the main components and want a turn-key solution... I can understand all of that.

I guarantee that every single person complaining about the price of this mill owns something that someone else would consider extravagant, unnecessary, or not worth the money. Think about your hobbies. You know there's something. If you're trying to justify why you think this mill is a waste of money you are most like being hypocritical. End rant :)

Last edited:
Ok fair point but "3 extra dollars" and 600 extra dollars is two totally different ends of the spectrum for what it is...
I look at the components and how its engineered and built using an inexpensive gear reduction motor and I dont see any reason it should cost $800 thats my opinion. I backed it up with the fact that at the end of the day its just a mill whos simple function it to crush grain. I'm sorry if my opinion differs from yours but at the end of the day I just dont see the value in it for what it is and what it does. Its the rolex of grain mills I get it to each his own. Most people who own those do so simply to impress others and prove thier social status.
My point in the first post was a timex keeps just as good time for most of us who have to look at things from a little more practical standpoint but yeah that also different for everyone. I guess if people are willing to pay it then its worth the price regardless of what goes into making it and what it is right? We shouldnt question such things but should just shutup and buy it like a $20 four pack of fruit beer (The brewery makes $17 off of while laughing)..

Well said, this is exactly what happens on every rant about AIO homebrew systems as the Picobrews.

I see this mill as really well engineered and with motor included. As an owner of SS Brewtech kettles I can vouch this mill would be well design and top quality as well.
I don't get why so many homebrewers are so cheap and jump on someone when they spend 3 extra dollars on something if it "makes the same beer". Is it because many homebrewers do it to save money? Who knows. If someone wants a sick mill that looks and feels like quality, comes with pride of ownership, most likely works better and is more pleasurable to operate, offers quick gap adjustment, and comes in a compact package, who cares? Or maybe they don't want a Rube Goldberg looking mill "station" with a Harbor Freight drill with a zip tied trigger... Or maybe they don't have the mechanical ability to to put a mill station together out of the main components and want a turn-key solution... I can understand all of that.

I guarantee that every single person complaining about the price of this mill owns something that someone else would consider extravagant, unnecessary, or not worth the money. Think about you hobbies. You know there's something. If you're trying to justify why you think this mill is a waste of money you are most like being hypocritical. End rant :)

Everybody here has different values, standards, needs and desires. At best, all one can do is say that the price/value/functionality relationship is this or that for me.

Otherwise, perhaps the cheapest solution would be the best one. Maybe a corona mill turned by hand (no drills!).

For me--for me--that's not a good solution, but that doesn't mean it's not for others.

Once we start down the road of "it's too expensive for what it does" we're imposing our values on others. Not a problem using those values for our own purchases, but to expect someone else to see them as equivalent....not unless everything else in their lives is the same.

I changed from a barley crusher run by a drill to a Monster Mill 3 turned by an All American Aleworks motor. For me--for me--it's worth it, as it crushes at a slower RPM, yet I can do 12 pounds in about 2 minutes. It allows me to crush just before dough-in, which is part of the process I use.

If you don't want or need that functionality, then it's a foolishly extravagant expense. If time and other considerations are important, then it's not. The SSBt mill would be too expensive for me. But maybe not for others.

There has never been any evidence to show that the grain cares how its crushed and how it effects the beer...
Respectfully disagree. Otherwise why did I spend almost two months studying milling technology alone and its effects on beer? Granted, much of the issues are process related and not directly related to beer quality (although in the end process always has an effect on overall quality) but still to make such a blanket statement is a bit over the top IMHO.

Respectfully disagree. Otherwise why did I spend almost two months studying milling technology alone and its effects on beer? Granted, much of the issues are process related and not directly related to beer quality (although in the end process always has an effect on overall quality) but still to make such a blanket statement is a bit over the top IMHO.
Did you come up with anything concrete after the 2 months of research? As long as your mill mills to the correct gap setting for your systems requirements I can't see how this will make better beer than a cheap barley crusher powered by hand. Maybe easier. Cheers

For me it's a convenience thing. I have two different brew systems that both require a different crush size. Having a tool less quick change will be super nice. I have a lot of SS equipment and their quality is too notch. I'd really like to see this thing in person to make sure it's quality is the same as their other stuff though.

Did you come up with anything concrete after the 2 months of research? As long as your mill mills to the correct gap setting for your systems requirements I can't see how this will make better beer than a cheap barley crusher powered by hand. Maybe easier. Cheers

There's so much more than just gap setting to mill for a specific system. Speed and gap are two variables in regards to roller size which can be manipulated to several different results. If you brew BIAB, crush everything, if you recirculate, crush the interior and not the husk, to say it in simple terms, there's variables within these statements too.

To get what one want is bordering to "art". A great crush is exactly that: "great". It takes knowledge and experience with a mill to know how to dial it in for a great crush for different systems. And I'm serious.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will post here after they buy one on the true pros and cons of this mill. I would be very interested on how if performs. It looks like a real slick mill but I want to hear back after someone puts it through its paces.

John

There's so much more than just gap setting to mill for a specific system. Speed and gap are two variables in regards to roller size which can be manipulated to several different results. If you brew BIAB, crush everything, if you recirculate, crush the interior and not the husk, to say it in simple terms, there's variables within these statements too.

To get what one want is bordering to "art". A great crush is exactly that: "great". It takes knowledge and experience with a mill to know how to dial it in for a great crush for different systems. And I'm serious.

Besides setting the gap to work with your system and milling at the correct speed I can't see what else there is though? I'm missing what you mean by the "so much more" part I guess. Cheers

Besides setting the gap to work with your system and milling at the correct speed I can't see what else there is though? I'm missing what you mean by the "so much more" part I guess. Cheers

You did only mention the gap in the post I quoted first. So, there's gap, speed, (if fixed speed you need to know the sweet spot of how much grains you let down onto the rollers), roller diameter and to mill them wet or not, wheat/barley, I think the list ends there, it all depends on what you have and what you mill for :)

nothing relevant as usual, but, lol....:D (lord knows, i'm the worst!)

back on topic...Is anyone else concerned all the slots in both the grain feed, and exit would clog?

I'm not. That seems like the most basic and easy thing to test. I seriously doubt that they will sell a mill that clogs up.

Breaking down and flat out not working are two totally different things!

Breaking down and flat out not working are two totally different things!

just so you know i'm talking from experience....this is what my schindling had, clogged all the time that's why it's out of the way now....

100_0590.JPG

edit: but to each their own, sufice it to say, i, don't like the design....

edit #2: and that damn jalopy, came with a damn rubber band on one roller as a gear motor sorta thing, i can tell you how long that lasted.....:(

Last edited:
i've actually never owned a cell phone...don't have a facebook/twitter/etc account....i'm not really that old, just not a people person....:D

Back